Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

I know bow hunters that have told me a coyote can duck under or jump out of the way of an arrow is that true I can believe it from what I've seen them do . You will enjoy those calls they are good starter calls and work good .

I know bow hunters that have told me a coyote can duck under or jump out of the way of an arrow is that true I can believe it from what I've seen them do . You will enjoy those calls they are good starter calls and work good .
That is very true. Have had it happen to me before with a coyote.....and a deer or two lol.

Listen to the sound of what you are trying to replicate, just google it. Open reed calls are easy to master and keep in mind you do not have to be perfect, no two rabbits or coyotes sound the same. With an open reed call like a critter call or the primos one, little dog, you can make darn near any sound.

It is so easy to try and make using calls harder and more complicated then they really are . Don't put very much pressure on the reed and don't blow too hard . If the call squeaks and squeals most often it's too much pressure or air flowing , if it's a real low wah then you need a little more pressure on the reed . blow out and say wah at the same time . and as Reemty said you can listen to the animal sounds on youtube .

Last edited:
justinp61, With your dominant hand put your thumb and forefinger in a circle around the barrel of the mouth piece to hold it then curl the other three fingers till the tips just touch your palm to hold your call . Try this with just the mouth piece at first . Blow your call genitally at first you just want a soft sound at first , latter your can add more air pressure after you have learned to make the wah of a rabbit . These little dog open reed calls can make rabbit , bird trills ,coyote barks and howls , adult deer and fawn blats ,crow calls the list goes on they are just fun to play with so you can figure out what all sounds you can make by varying the amount of air the speed with witch you blow a big huff of air makes a bark if it's in short duration but if it's longer it turns into a howl . The amount of pressure put on the reed makes a higher or lower tone . The amount of the tone board and reed you put in your mouth changes the sound a lot also with the calls you have try to put around half or less of the reed and tone board in your mouth at first . And as Reemty said no two animals of the same species sound the same just like we humans don't close to works with this also .

Thanks DSheetz. I've been practicing while driving to and from work and at least I'm making sounds that sound like a coyote.

I've started reading this thread from the start and am on page 29 or so. Growing up on a farm I can relate to a lot of stuff posted. I really believe country boys had more fun.

Thanks to everyone who has posted, this is a very informative fun read.

Justin

Thanks DSheetz. I've been practicing while driving to and from work and at least I'm making sounds that sound like a coyote.

I've started reading this thread from the start and am on page 29 or so. Growing up on a farm I can relate to a lot of stuff posted. I really believe country boys had more fun.

Thanks to everyone who has posted, this is a very informative fun read.

Justin
I have to do this too. I break in new turkey call before turkey season. Or a new rabbit call. This amount the only thing that get on the wife's nerves. LOL. I keep a check to see if she is getting better but as of last week about a half of a series of dying rabbit is all she can take. I don't understand. She is fine with me shooting from the living room out the back door. Huh

Thanks

Buck

The other day I finally had a chance to get out with a hand call for the first time. With some tutoring from DSheetz I got some basics down. Went to the outer fringe of my area and learned a few lessons. There's one of only a handful of actual patches of brush and trees about 10acres with treelines on 3 sides of it coming out of it. Treelines run west, east, and south from it. Was able to approach from the east as I had a west wind and the farmer leaves equipment parked on that end to hide the truck and or block any downwinders. I set up in the east treeline but had to face into the sun as it was about 4pm when I got there. This is really the only wind to hunt this spot. 1st lesson, I've only been wearing glasses for about a year now and I had my shades on but don't usually hunt with them, forgot my clears at the house! Got hid good and after a bit gave out my first series per DSheetz instructional 2 barks and 2 howls then wait. I didn't get any response which is normal around here. They rarely talk back during daylight. Gave it 20 minutes and gave another series and another 20 wait. It was starting to get to that point when you know it's time to get home to feed the stock before totally dark and you know it's also time that something should show itself as I was also in a travel corridor but decided to get going. I make one last check of the layout and start walking back to the truck. I ALWAYS walk a ways, stop and look around good, then proceed. When I made my stop there it was walking about 300 yrd out and didn't act like it seen me yet. It was along the edge of two fields, 1 cornstalks and one beans and it was in the beans headed for the stalks. As soon as it stepped behind the tire of an irrigator I went flat out. Laid still a second then slowly got the bipod folded out and got on the scope. I never took my eyes off that tire but never seen that dog again. I laid there a good 20 minutes. With the light and my dark glasses if it got into the stalks I couldn't see it. 1st lesson, don't wear shades hunting, as it was way to dark for them when that coyote did come out. At least don't forget the clears at home next time lol and or pic a cloudy day. 2nd lesson, without Dsheetz and the rest of you all I doubt I would've switched to hand calls, and doubt I would've got that coyote to come! Yes it's that hard here! One rabbit distress call and watch them run the opposite way! 3rd lesson, you can always feed the stock with the lights on! I usually will sitout a good hour before I leave the set and did here also just shouldn't have worried about getting home so quick lol.