Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

Tim you are spot on, I am looking forward to mating season also, see a pair come charging in hackles up ready to kick another coyotes butt...😳😳👍we haven't had snow here for a while, if we did today I would have followed that coyote up and with in a mile or less she re-bedded and I would have another chance.
Dave, I was not excited but I was glassing steady on her.. I learned when I was shooting ATA trap to be calm, calm is smooth, fast and accurate. This year has given me lots of opportunity calling early when we had snow and now lots of stalking experience....guys if your walking much that 2 legged trigger stick is a wonderful tool, for walking and especially when you extend it all the way up and use it as a standing platform for glassing, unbelievable how steady and clear it makes your glass. Last 10-15 years I mostly hunt alone and actually enjoy it, maybe that be little selfish but I go and do what I believe to be the best decision and there is half the movement as two people.

Last edited:
Reemty I did most of my hunting by myself it just worked out that way and seemed to be better then when someone else was a long . I took the time to teach my kids to be hunters. So many people don't walk quiet , use cover correctly ect. it's not their fault or any thing like that they just haven't spent the time to learn how to or had someone to teach them or maybe not seen the need for it . And this year you have been doing a lot of spot and stalk hunting coyote so I imagine that you have learned much about coyote senses as well as having became more aware of your surroundings the use of low spots as cover brush ect. looking ahead to plan your approach in a few seconds time and making good on it . Well done ! Yes it also is a learned trait to stay calm , it comes natural to some but not many and is one of the valuable tools of the hunter .

Yes I did and do, it works like a charm, your mind cannot tell the deference between meditation/visualization in your mind and reality, and once you do it enough your sub conscious has it down, no thought needed, the subconscious mind breaks the target on its own. Your subconscious is your " on board" computer given to you by GOD!

another edge is eye exercises, only takes 5-10 minutes a day......great advantage to spotting game. Last time I took eye test I could still read the bottom line, that was three years ago.

I kind of thought you did a lot of athletes do as well . I started doing it to become a better shooter and hunter . It helps a person to become more aware of your surroundings as well . And eye exercises help you also with your ability to notice things in your environment moving as well as stationary . What an aid to your stalking ! You will see hear and feel your environment better knowing what is under and beside your feet before you step . It's not magic it's awareness being in the moment or here and now not yesterday or tomorrow , not wondering about what your wife or kids want or what you are doing later in the day but yet not detached from life either . A lot of the greatest minds call it getting in to their bubble .

Yes or zone..everything else is blocked out except for the mission at hand, I first used it in high school wrestling and it tailored right into registered trap, some people felt I was unfriendly before a competition I was just relaxing and focusing and wanted to be left alone...it's a place of complete calm but all your senses are on high alert, you notice darn near everything.....whether it's calling or stalking I use my glass constantly, it's one of the few advantages I have over on a coyote, I use Steiner 8 x 56 nighthunter I think they are called. Just started carrying my Doctor Optics 30 x 80mm binoculars in my pickup when I go, will help to spot them 2-3 miles away and come in a way they do not even Know you are around. Always amazing here in GODs country how attuned to vehicles coyotes are......

Last edited:
Very true Reemty. Around here the preffered method of hunting coyotes is a group of rednecks getting together with thier 4x4 trucks and utvs all set up with radios and a pack of dogs, some for tracking some for killing starting out on one side of the county in the AM and going cross country whereever the dogs take them, usually tresspassing the whole time, driving through fields and whatnot no matter how muddy, and slinging lead at every chance at something 500+ and running. I have no use for those types. It's VERY rare to see a coyote in the open when driving around here and if you do they be shifting gears for the closest patch of cover at the first sight and or sound of a vehicle. The second most preffered way is to drive up to an area walk 100ft, if they even bother leaving the truck, and putting the e caller out on a rabbit distress or something similar. NOW you all know why it's so hard to coyote hunt around here lol!

Reemty were you excited ? We put off an odor and an electrical field that changes as we get more excited with anticipation . You say you had a full force wind from left to right of around 30mph so that covered your sound well and carried your sent away from her . You may have been looking right at her also instead of to the side of her even we can feel that . You can experiment with that one by just looking at someone you know they will notice you looking so you want it to be someone you know . If you were in the service and had to hunt people one of the things that you will be taught is to not look directly at a person especially their eyes as they will sense it and coyote are more attuned to to it then humans . Yes I have had coyote sense me at a long distance when I know for sure they didn't hear see or smell me and that is the best explanation I can give for it . When you get home after getting excited or scared pay attention to how you smell you will have stronger body odor as a result of the dump of hormones that give us the fight or flight defensive mode .
You can test this by driving faster than the traffic on the freeway and looking at the drivers as you are passing them. The ones that you look directly at will look over their shoulders at you, but the ones you just stay aware out of the side of your eyes will not look around!

Here where guard dogs are used the coyote stopped talking and when you howl the dogs tend to show up . I pretty sure that if every time I said something I got my butt kicked I'd quit talking too .

Went at it pretty hard the last three days. Hunted with a local friend all day Friday, then hunted with two other friends all day Sat., and then went alone all day yesterday. Had fun, interesting, frustrating stand to start my day yesterday.
I had done this stand my first time just last season. I tried it once earlier this year and blanked. Killed a pair there last year.
So it's a sweet, handy stand. A nice spot to pull down in the ditch to hide the truck and I only have to walk about 300 yards to where I sit. Hadn't worried about getting back doored because anything that wants to come from across the road can plainly see my truck long before they reach the road, UNLESS they decide to follow the dry creek bed and go under the road/bridge, like they did yesterday.
So I'd been calling right about 12 minutes, starting to get that blank stand feeling, when I finally spot a coyote standing just 300 yards out. I had only played rabbit to this point, so I switched to lip squeak to bring it on in. Next thing I see is it and another leaving. Wait, what the heck. They disappear from me and finally I see one come out on a hill about 450. Hmmm, don't like rabbit, so I do a series of howls and soon learn the problem. I get a burger barker behind me. Now what. So I do a series of pup distress. That really fires up the burger barker, but it also gets coyote #2 out in front of me to show himself, showing some interest in coming now. And soon the far coyote comes and joins #2 standing on a hill out about 300 now. Burger barker raising cane behind me. So I put up Kryptonite, one of my favorite fights and here comes my pair. About the time the fight gets through a series and I mute the call, the pair had made it to about 120 yards where they stopped. Now they're just standing there starring, looking for the source of the fight. Not sure, but think they stood there a good minute of two, looking, looking all around trying to find the source of the sound. Finally, they lose interest and turn and start leaving. So I turn Kryptonite back on and now they get serious, or at least the male gets serious about coming to get in the action. The female still not sold, she hangs up back at about 120 yards. SO, pretending to be the professional that I'm not, I decide the smart play is to shoot the female first, the male is coming hard and is going to be real close in no time. Well, the plan worked perfectly EXCEPT the fact that I flat out whiffed on the female. After my shot the male wasn't but about 30 yards and I went ahead and spun and rolled him up, and then turned my attention back to the fleeting female, only to have my gun jam and by the time I got it cleared, the coast was clear of all furbearing critters. Shoulda been a dead pair, but I screwed up the easy shot.
After words, I went to investigate where the backdoor coyote came from since I had tracking snow. Turns out I had a pair come and they managed to get to about 75 yards before they winded me. I followed their tracks back to discover the reason my truck hadn't kept them from coming across the road, because by following the dry creek bed and going under the road, they never had a chance to see it.
Lesson learned. I'll sit in a different spot next time.
We called in 23 coyotes in 3 days, only killed 13. Had a quad come and only one died. Well, 2 of the quad finished and came all the way in, two checked up at about 250 and at the first shot, they split. Buddy missed #2 at just 200 standing. Had a triple coming on another stand, two together and a 3rd from a slightly different angle. I didn't realize there were 3 until I was attempting to put a finishing shot on the 2nd, and at that point the 3rd was splitting for cover. Can't kill em all.
Of the 8 I killed this weekend, only 3 had fur worth keeping. One that I killed was nearly furless. Will be glad when mange has run it's course around here.