Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

3 coyotes yesterday and one fox.........saw something I have not seen to the sheer numbers...driving down a not so traveled road, off to the left was the tail end of a reservoir and there was a dead cow, mostly gone, 180 yards off the road....10 coyotes on and around that cow :oops: :oops: I have seen 4-6 before but never that many. Kept driving as I did not want to shoot runners....went into the vacant yard and walked back 3/4 of a mile in the road ditch, rollie country, sniped one at 401 yards, missed two at 300......:(.........I now have my harris bipod BACK on my .204 the 6-13" one as I could have easily killed 3 to 4 if I would have been steadier (prone), sticks sitting up just didnt cut it. Waited a bit and went a mile east called in one male, shot him circling behind me at 80 yards..made a couple more calls no luck...drove back by that cow, yearling female ran off it, I stopped and barked at her, she turned broadside at 300 yards, dead flop into the body....all three coyotes ( 2 males, 1 female), no exit hole, all dead right now. On the way home, older female fox laying on her mound 120 yards off the road, cross hairs under her chin, impact blew her over (probably 8 # fox or so) and it went in her chest straight on, no exit, wow was I surprised. Storm is just starting to break, going to hit that cow at daylight, as I only killed 3 of the 10, maybe 4 or 5 tomorrow, GOD willing. I just love calling, sneaking on or sniping coyotes.......I bought the bell & Carlson stock, love it, feels like you are pointing the gun and tucked into it better as it is vertical gripe and a higher comb....impact on paper is the same as other stock. Been a good week, 10 coyotes total.......if I did like the old days and had my harris bi-pod on, it would have been 5-7 more...........sometimes you cant fix stupid, as I knew better and a coyote is a small target, you have to be rock steady. suppose to be sub-zero in the morning.........just perfect coyote weather other than deer season opened today......more traffic.

I read it twice so all is good . I was up on the mountain a few years back and saw 8 coyote eating on a deer they had ran into a fence when it tried to jump the fence one of it's back feet caught in the two top wires . It was hung up in the fence and they were killing it . I got one of them the rest made it to the timber on me . We went back the next day in the helicopter and got the rest out onto the flats but they had cleaned up that deer only a few larger bones were left . I was talking with two of the ranchers I worked for they ask me to come back to work for them and set my own pace . I can't take it any more I'm going back to hunting for them just not every day and as many hours a day when I do . It's an addiction and will be in my blood for the rest of my life .

I was unconscious but was told there was no dead yote on the road; my front tire was trashed. I am guessing when I hit him (I remember the initial sensation) I was launch head over heals...just lucky I hit my left shoulder instead of landing on my head. I did have a cut on my head; Ms LRNUT said when she rode up on me I was lying in the road with a pool of blood around my head. My face had a lot of road rash as well.

Today 1st stand I had an old male come in to 45 yards had a stunted caraganda between us as it was bright sunlight and it was only way I could hide. I was pointed a little above down wind but he was one of those that would not stop to barks or anything and he started to veer away. At 75 yards i had a quartering away shot and hit him behind the ribs, let's just say it was a heck of a mess just like I have done with a 22-250 in the past, that bullet veering in makes a mess. He was heavy and fat easy 40# maybe a hair more. One canine was broke half off, others were wore or chipped and his teeth were yellow. I bet he could have written an interesting book. He was really furred up also. Next stand saw a male at the 15 minute mark at 800 yards he went out of sight, didn't seem too interested; waited 15 minutes more never saw him. Walked out to see what went on. He met up with a small female and they came within 200 yards of me and I never saw them; drainage was just low enough and they stayed out of sight. They never cut my wind but they walked off, darn. It is always hard to get a stand that you can see everything well, another lesson learned. Since it was bright sun I focused on hiding more than having a better view and that cost me. Lots of deer hunters next 3 weeks will limit calling opportunities.

Last edited:
When a person thinks of the day you look at what worked and what went wrong and how do I improve. I have to wonder how often we have a coyote come in that is not seen, creases in the ground or thicker cover looking the wrong way at the right time. When two callers are present this is minimized but I normally call alone and am responsible for 360 degree radius. Biggest lesson for me is to constantly focus on the best view possible from a stand, along with concealment......but the question remains, how often do we not see them?

Reemty , if we knew how many have come and gone with out us seeing them we would be scared by those numbers especially how many bob cats have been behind you real close . One morning I was out denning for coyote . I had seen and heard a pair out over a mile from me so I closed the distance by half a mile and got slipped in to a rocky butte and was about 20 feet up the side of it with 40 or so feet left above me . I glassed for a while then started with the canine puppy squeaks and squeals . After 10 minutes or so above and behind me to my left I heard a couple of cats start growling at me . Made the skin crawl and my neck hair stand up . About that time a coyote ran out of the head of a draw 400 yards in front of me . I sure was glad that she was in a hurry to get to me , she got to a fence about 50 yards out and stopped by it before crawling under it down she went to a 125 grain 30-06 round . I sat still for a few more minutes waiting for the cats to leave or another coyote to start running in . Now the 125 grain out of a 30-06 can make a mess if you hit them wrong but at 50 yards and in the ribs they normally just flop backwards a foot or so and drop .

Had an 8 yard run by this morning. Wind finally went down so I went calling this morning. Called 4 of my favorite spots and nothing. Not a howl. Called a new coulee which I normally drive by. Set the caller about 40 yards in front of me. Had 2 does and a little buck buck coming in. At about 80 yards the lead doe went out of sight behind a little hill. I gave a short squal to bring her over the top. I love to watch wildlife react to the call. She stood on the little hill looking for the source of the sound. She came down towards the caller but seemed to be looking past it. When she got about 5 yards from the caller I was going to give her a blast to see her reaction. Before I could do that she put her head down and charged past the caller. I looked to my right and see a coyote running at me and she is after him. He ran by me at 8 yards so fast that I never even moved. He ran down the coulee like his hair was on fire.

And there are so many blessings from just getting out . Such as it will be mid March now till we see meadow larks and the western blue birds come back through here but the magpies and others are still here not to mention how now that the jet stream has changed the sky is so blue and mostly cloudless .