Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

Reemty , do you do any prep on your brass that most people wouldn't ? I de burr the flash holes , cut the primer pockets to the same depth and sort them by weight . I don't neck turn any more as I'm running standard chambers not tight necked chambers . doing this is a one time thing on my brass . Cutting to length is a continuing process . I still use a dry media tumbler to clean my brass and RCBS dies mostly ( Redding for 6.5x284 ) . I set the shoulder back .002 when I'm sizing . I find a good seating depth that groups well, I normally start at .060 off the lands depending on the bullet type some like at the lands or jammed slightly , then tune the powder as to type and weight , 223 likes h335 , 6.5x284 likes h4831sc , 30-06 likes imr 4350 and h4350 so I start with these powders , then fine tune the seating depth and enjoy shooting them . The search for a good bullet combination , powder charge for each rifle is part of the enjoyment of them for me .

First three shots through my hart barreled 22-250. 1:12 twist 24" #3 contour in a mcmillan RMR stock. Bedded it all the way down the barrel channel with a timney trigger leupold 4.5-14x40 Vx3i in Talley light weights on a r700 SA. Shooting 52 grain berger varmint bullets .005 off the lands 38.0 grains of H380 in nosler brass. They are running 3510 FPS. .07 MOA from an 8 pound rifle... coyotes are in trouble
AB27082E-CF4E-4159-94EC-619AE637D1AB.jpeg

Took a different route this morning couple miles north of my usual route. Saw a coyote trotting ahead of me a mile or so, running right to left, he crossed the road ahead of and went up a dirt road, followed as close as possible without spooking him. I ran out of dirt road, stopped and leaned on the hood and starting barking, you could tell by his slow running he was going to stop. Finally heard me and stopped broadside, no time to range it but knew he was at least 300 yards. He was 20 yards from steep breaks and I knew he wouldn't stand long. My scopes zero is 200 yards and it has hash marks under the crosshairs, 1st one down is 300 yards so I put it in the center of the coyote high in his body and pulled the set trigger on the CZ....in the scope I could see the coyote drop and a bit of fur fly so I knew it exited and then the welcome "whop" sound came. I drove out in the stubble and looked at the coyote, young male, this years pup, decent sized, brand new white teeth. Bullet entered in his middle, possibly in front of the diaphram and came out in front of his right leg, hole was smaller than a dime so that tells me it was a fragment or just the base. Was high in his body though, but under the spine. Ranged from the coyote back to where I shot, 369 yards and he dead flopped. Just cannot resist a drive by.........5th coyote with this .204/39 grain SBK combo. Fun accurate gun or at least I thought it was accurate, until I saw 1894C's 22-250 group ;).

Last edited:
Dave, I have used 3" 4-buck on coyotes also (41 .24 caliber pellets), but I like the Dead Coyote T shot best, 55 .20 calibers pellets in a 3" shell and they are heavier than lead, Remington HD in T shot also. 40-70 yards kills them dead. Longest kill was 94 yards, but it took all 4 shots in the gun. Was one of those that came screaming in to the call so I picked up shotgun and then it decided to circle for wind, had no choice but the rifle would have been better. The Hevi shot is expensive so I buy it on sale, yes it is worth the money.

Last edited:
1894 that's an impressive group . what action did you put the hart barrel on and what taper is the barrel . I at least like to put a bed at the front of the barrel on 22-250's for some reason they seem to like it . Reemty that's a good shot glad you changed you route . another good coyote . What choke are you using on your 12 ga. mine is a modified .with a 24 inch barrel .

1894 that's an impressive group . what action did you put the hart barrel on and what taper is the barrel . I at least like to put a bed at the front of the barrel on 22-250's for some reason they seem to like it . Reemty that's a good shot glad you changed you route . another good coyote . What choke are you using on your 12 ga. mine is a modified .with a 24 inch barrel .
Factory 700 action in a #3 hart contour. All the action work was done by hart when the chambered etc my barrel. On thinner contour barrels I always bed them the full length of the barrel channel. Works well for me

First three shots through my hart barreled 22-250. 1:12 twist 24" #3 contour in a mcmillan RMR stock. Bedded it all the way down the barrel channel with a timney trigger leupold 4.5-14x40 Vx3i in Talley light weights on a r700 SA. Shooting 52 grain berger varmint bullets .005 off the lands 38.0 grains of H380 in nosler brass. They are running 3510 FPS. .07 MOA from an 8 pound rifle... coyotes are in trouble View attachment 217284
Excellent shooting,and great set up.

First three shots through my hart barreled 22-250. 1:12 twist 24" #3 contour in a mcmillan RMR stock. Bedded it all the way down the barrel channel with a timney trigger leupold 4.5-14x40 Vx3i in Talley light weights on a r700 SA. Shooting 52 grain berger varmint bullets .005 off the lands 38.0 grains of H380 in nosler brass. They are running 3510 FPS. .07 MOA from an 8 pound rifle... coyotes are in trouble View attachment 217284
Yep that's a shooter! Nice job.

Took a different route this morning couple miles north of my usual route. Saw a coyote trotting ahead of me a mile or so, running right to left, he crossed the road ahead of and went up a dirt road, followed as close as possible without spooking him. I ran out of dirt road, stopped and leaned on the hood and starting barking, you could tell by his slow running he was going to stop. Finally heard me and stopped broadside, no time to range it but knew he was at least 300 yards. He was 20 yards from steep breaks and I knew he wouldn't stand long. My scopes zero is 200 yards and it has hash marks under the crosshairs, 1st one down is 300 yards so I put it in the center of the coyote high in his body and pulled the set trigger on the CZ....in the scope I could see the coyote drop and a bit of fur fly so I knew it exited and then the welcome "whop" sound came. I drove out in the stubble and looked at the coyote, young male, this years pup, decent sized, brand new white teeth. Bullet entered in his middle, possibly in front of the diaphram and came out in front of his right leg, hole was smaller than a dime so that tells me it was a fragment or just the base. Was high in his body though, but under the spine. Ranged from the coyote back to where I shot, 369 yards and he dead flopped. Just cannot resist a drive by.........5th coyote with this .204/39 grain SBK combo. Fun accurate gun or at least I thought it was accurate, until I saw 1894C's 22-250 group ;).
I'd say you have that .204 dialed in pretty good ReEmpty. Always a joy to have confidence enough in a gun to know exactly what it and you can do together. Keep stacking them up!