Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

The wind drift isn't as much as I would have thought . If I zero my 223 at 200 as you might expect because of the scope to barrel differences I would be at +1.5 at fifty and just a little lower then that at 100 . I also run a cheat sheet and laminate it for my rifles as I don't want to remember all that data . Using my 223 for calling I normally keep it zeroed at 100 so I don't shoot high at closer ranges just me . The 200 yard zero was what was called battle range starting during WWI just a little trivia .lol .

I picked the lowest mount for my scope and only have a 1" tube on a Vortex tactical, 4 x 12 x 40mm, I like to keep scope close to barrel....this is different than I do on my 6.5 creedmoor and 6.5 PRC, both of those have 30mm tubes and 56mm objective. The balance and weight on this set up on my CZ is really comfortable. The 39 grain SBK bullet has a BC of .287 @ 3600 fps and higher, which is high for a small caliber bullet. This is an aid in wind drift, my opinion. I like to know all the details on stuff and look for every advantage I can....could be that 1/2 of Germanic blood in me.

Dave, here is the trajectory......I do cheat sheets and laminate them so I have a quick reference...drops and 10 mph wind drift. As near as I can tell shooting metal plates out to 500 the drops and drift are very close to advertised.....For what I need from 0 - 500 yards this cartridge is pretty darn good. I will report back with any new adventures.

.204 Ruger 39 gr SBK 3850 fps
Distance /Drop--------Wind/10 mph
100 -------- +.5 ------------3/4"
200 ----------0 -------------3 "
300 ----------4.25-----------7 "
400 ----------13 ------------13 "
500 ----------27 ------------21 "
The 204 is a laser have never missed a shot YET and have killed more than a few yotes as evidenced here.That comment is not made to denigrate any who've shot less than I ,it's just the way life is sometimes. My farthest 1300 plus feet, taken with the aforementioned round. I love the 204 all I'll ever need, as I don't plan on shooting over 500 yards with any regularity. Most Ohio shots top out at 300 yds,still a poke if you don't practice and know where certain round offerings will hit.

I looked into that SBK 39 grain because you had mentioned on here it had the highest BC of 20 cal bullets....and it shoots very well in my CZ...When it comes to trajectory, a higher BC bullet is your friend.
Same reason I shoot a Berger 156 EOL bullet (.679 G1 BC) in my 6.5 PRC and it is extremely accurate in my rifle.

Last edited:
I also like as high a B C as I can get for the bullets I run . I too like as low a scope mount as I can run with out touching the objective and barrel . My 223 has a 1" tube but my longer range rifles have 30MM tubes no larger then 52 MM objectives . Some varying reticals I kind of like a fine duplex on my 223 and one with mil markings on my longer range rifles . I don't want one that is very busy for myself .

Reemty J, using Nagel 25 and 30 grain. Also, Hornady 25 grain HPs. Mostly the 25 grain for the speed. I shot a pair last year at 250 yds., but I usually won't shoot past 300.

I haven't shot a rem 17 since you could only get 25 gr rem bullets to reload with . In my part of the world we get a lot of windy days 25 to 45 mph . I don't usually call at night so the fine cross hairs work fine and when I do I like my 12 ga. with open sights that have luminescent paint on them . I like # 4 buck shot for that