Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

Remember a few pages back I said my gaurdian angel needed hazard/overtime pay? Yesterday was one of those days for me. While helping my daughter and BF move we had a distracted driver cross the centerline on us. My wife was driving who dare I say is a great driver and used to pulling big heavy trailers with our daully. We had a rented uhaul trailer. Seen him coming and she was over as far as we could go. He clipped his mirror on our trucks fender and plowed right into the trailer. Wife did an amazing job keeping us straight and from loosing control also. Had she not done what she did it would've been head on for sure. The BIG GUY was watching out for us yesterday for sure! We are all ok and that's the main thing. Stuff can he fixed and replaced. Kudos to all the fireman and women, the paramedics and the 2 MO state troopers that responded! Other driver had some self induced issues and as the troopers told us we'll just leave it at that for now.
About 3 weeks ago while repairing our levee from the floods last year. I was operating a big 4 wheel drive tractor with a scraper and got hung up on top of the levee. While trying to get un hung with the help of a dozer, the scraper overturned and when the dust settled the tractor only had 2 tires left on the ground. My friend in the dozer and whom owned the tractor I was in was doing all he could to keep me upright and not rolling all the way over. He said he thought he gonna watch me die. HE had me that day too! So like I said whomever has my back most days definately needs a little extra in the kitty lol. Just goes to show you that you never know from one day to the next and to try your best to make each one count!
THANK YOU JESUS!!!!

Thanks guys! Hard enough hit that it knocked both axles plum off the trailer and it went almost full 90* behind us. She kept that truck straight as an arrow. Both troopers and ALL the other responders all said HS how the bleep did you keep that thing under control and she just answered I just did lol. She can shoot about as good as she can drive too lol!

In 1989 I was working coyote on a ranch up in the mountains . I had a trap line that looped around through the ranch for 20 miles along the two track roads on the ranch . Every now and then I would have a set that was all torn up but no animal in the trap . I checked the trap springs scratched my head a lot and couldn't figure out how the coyote were getting out of my traps . Then one day ,one of the ranch hands came up to me and handed me a wad of cash saying the boss said we owe you this . We've been roping your coyote pulling them from your traps and selling them . The (boss )owner caught them one day and told them to repay me for the ones they had taken and stop doing it or find a new job Mystery solved . My brother in law roped one of my bob cats one time and pulled it out of the trap the rodeo started when the cat landed in the saddle with him and the horse spooked , with good reason ! I laughed for a long time during and after that one .

Was out to a pheasant property I manage over lunch hour, had a trespasser that wanted to play catch. I drove by and spotted him and went down the road a 1/2 mile, turned around and drove slow, he started to trot away, couple of barks gave me standing shot 200 yards away, sent a 39 grainer and he caught it behind the shoulder, dead flop.............male. No exit. .204 ruger 39 gr SBK. Just cannot pass up an "incidental" they are a gift........☝pays to be heeled all the time. 4th coyote for that round, have yet to see an exit...out to 300 yards I just have to remind myself to keep cross hairs in the fur.......lots of air above them, have shot shot over a few. :rolleyes: Right on at 200, -4.5" @ 300 yards....

Last edited:
I have shot a couple of the CZ's and like the ones I have shot . The coyote should be good by mid to late October . The red fox should be about there by now . Do you zero at 200 yards ? then how high are you at 100 yards ?

yesterday I drove close by the coyote as I was in a hurry, today I studied him more, it was a 2 year coyote, he was in a depression and when I lifted him out this morning, was a little larger than I thought. Teeth were good, not chipped or wore bad, but not new either. I was surprised he stood 200 yards off the road like that, thought I had most of the locals trained to not trust a pickup. Only thing I can think is I normally do not go by at that time, usually early morning and it is a fairly busy highway so he was lulled into thinking "no worries".

Dave, here is the trajectory......I do cheat sheets and laminate them so I have a quick reference...drops and 10 mph wind drift. As near as I can tell shooting metal plates out to 500 the drops and drift are very close to advertised.....For what I need from 0 - 500 yards this cartridge is pretty darn good. I will report back with any new "games of catch".

.204 Ruger 39 gr SBK 3850 fps
Distance /Drop--------Wind/10 mph
100 -------- +.5 ------------3/4"
200 ----------0 -------------3 "
300 ----------4.25-----------7 "
400 ----------13 ------------13 "
500 ----------27 ------------21 "

Last edited: