Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

My pet load for it is 65g H4831, 168g SMK, .035 jump at 3000fps avg with a SD of 6fps. I bet at your elevation it would REALLY shoot lol

You got a barely used M700 for a good price . That is a good thing . You don't know for sure what all had been tweaked before you got it so it may have had some of the things done to it that I have mentioned . You sir are off to a good start . We all , almost all of us , started off on a budget and still are on one that is just a part of life and it teaches us good things . If you are having good luck with 168 grain match king bullets stick with them . I know they will tell you they don't recommend hunting with them because they were designed to shoot targets . I have had good luck with most all of Sierras bullets . Nosler makes some good bullets also they may take a little tweaking to get them to shoot as well a little more or less powder longer or shorter seating depth . We all start not knowing anything and have to learn from scratch it takes time , effort and when our budget allows us to add to what we have started we do . Time is our friend for this . I also like H4831SC for 7mm rem mags and 6.5x284 , as well as IMR4350 for rifles like the 30-06 . There is a difference in IMR4350 and H4350 just so you know they don't interchange exact weight for weight MV's and pressures.

I was very lucky to find it when I did. I ran the vin# and found it was made in Sept 18 so only a few months before I came across it. At Scheels where it was I know they have a 15 day return/trade policy on new guns. Wondering if it wasn't one of those deals. It didn't even have a scratch anywhere on top from a scope mount or anything. It could very well have been tweaked a little though. Just glad this blind squirrel found this nut for once lol. You are very correct on what we have to earn, work for and or fight for mean so much more when we finally achieve them. But I will say whoever coined the phrase money can't buy happiness ain't never been broke all the time lol. I'm not poor just swear my piggybank has a heartbeat. I put a bit in when I can but everytime I go to cash out all I see is a pile of poo on my nightstand lol. Cause something else came up lol.

I have been there my self . I see all these people on the news talking about all of the gifted and privileged white folks . I guess they never met me my brother and sisters when we were kids not sure where or when our next meal would come from . That taught me a lot to get me ready for life and I don't regret it but sure wouldn't recommend it as a learning tool . I spent most of my adult life working at least 2 jobs and don't regret that either we do what we need to for ours . I was lucky enough to enjoy my jobs .

I enjoy it when I'm calling to have birds of prey or scavenger birds come in . It verifies that my sounds are the right ones to bring in the four legged ones . I can be set up in the rocks, by some trees or brush and have them come in to see who they are going to dine on . The magpies or crows will tell every one around that there is a meal about to take place screaming and flitting around . The hawks , eagles and buzzards are kind of interesting to watch they land near by and set there looking you over and you can see that if they could they would be drooling all over themselves just thinking about that fresh rabbit or fawn and maybe what ever it is that's causing it to scream . So here I am laying down in the grass on a nice sunny morning facing down a draw at about 7500 feet above sea level . We don't get any dew most of the time as our humidity is in the low double digits so the grass is dry but green and maybe 5 " tall . I've been using a fawn blat and have a coyote coming in at about 400 yards . I'm locked onto it and following it in my scope . my concentration is focused nearly completely on it when all of the sudden from behind me something swoops down 5 or 6 " above my head and lands inches in front of my face . There was nearly a code brown accident and run away . It's a large barred owl they don't make any sounds when they fly and I don't know where it came from . I don't know where the coyote went either it only took me a few minutes to get myself composed well maybe half an hour or so then there were the adrenaline shakes an hour or so latter . The rest of that morning was a wash I was done with that kind of thing and calling for the day I can only take so much excitement at one time before I'm over it and have had enough fun for now .

A berger 180 hunting bullet is a good choice, I really like the 156 grain EOL in 6.5 PRC......................
I've heard a lot of good things about berger bullets but have never tried any. Unfortunately with my 9.25 twist and low elevation I don't think I could stabalize a 180 but have seen they also make a 168g.

I've had a couple owl encounters while night hunting. Couple of times had them swoop right down on the caller. Pretty cool to see but not at 3ft away lol. I'd probably have dirty undies from that also!

Scotty was my fur buyer that I used you could trust him to give you the best price he could and he would take the time to tell you what wasn't right and what was right with your fur . He and Merlin , another fur buyer , taught me a lot about handling fur as well as the grading of them . Scotty also guided big game hunters for his brother in law on one of the ranches I did control work for so in the fall he and I would get together and visit about where I had been seeing good quality animals for the clients they had . Scotty would stay in a log home at the bottom of a long grade that rose over a thousand feet in less then a half mile climb of the road . This home was built in the 1800's and still had a packed dirt floor with only two rooms it was heated by the wood cook stove . The clients stayed in campers set up for them . One morning I stopped in for coffee and a chat with Scotty he told me you've got to see this guy to believe him . I was introduced to a guy in drees loafers , suit pants and shirt less the tie with a down filled dark blue vest on top of it . He had a custom English rifle with a scope made in Sweden mounted on it . He told me that he ordered the ammo from the rifle builder when he needed it as they built it for his rifle chamber and kept dies set up for his rifle with the loading his rifle shot to their liking . He was a Goldsteene from the fur garment district in NYC . He was the fur buyer that bought all of Scotty's fur . Scotty ask me if I knew where there might be a special mule deer buck for him . I had been seeing one that looked like he had a small aspen bush on it's head . It would just lay there in a small draw by an aspen patch with just his antlers sticking out . I told him to go up the road and into the Verdin pasture take the road up till it crossed the creek then take the right hand trail up Verdin draw on the back side of Verdin grade . I went on up and checked my coyote sets .A couple 3 hours latter I came back by there hanging was the buck . I'm sure that if you were going to eat it that it would be tough and strong tasting . The antlers had a lot of small points sticking out and was five on each side a real non typical . I'm not cut out to guide hunters I like to be quiet , walk softly and observe the world around me when I hunt I don't look for antlers to mount they don't taste good to me . But each to their own if your good to me I'll do you the same .

Dave, you know that hunter/fur buyer was a Hebrew? GOD's chosen people, people of the Book, you and I are the Gentiles........that was a neat story, keep em rolling you are full of more BS than a Christmas Goose.
;) 💪🍻 One of the main people that got me started on calling coyotes with Bill Austins Coyote howler, was a trapper like you, not a G-man trapper just a private citizen, I learned a lot from him and he also knew where the best antelope and deer were...............exposure and observation!!! You know Scotty and Mr. Goldsteene, after they shot that dandy buck, probably figured you were the best guide in Wy-Dam-O-ming!!! :oops:👍

Last edited:
Reemty , I did know he was a Hebrew and also that he probably had as much money as the Kennedys , Trumps and Warren Buffet but wouldn't have hung out with them they weren't his type of folks . By the way I like Christmas geese better then turkey they aren't as dry lol . Scotty knew that I kept track of all that type of stuff and would share that info with him as I respected him . We like to have fun with this post don't we I know I do . I also learned a lot from Bill Austin he was the original seller of a coyote howler . His were made of what he had on hand 1/2 " sch. 40 pvc pipe some stiff note book covers and a lasterater band I still have one and if I dig deep enough I can probably find his instructional cassette tape as well as some of his tapes for calling ( I still love his sun rise serenade ) . I have been known to just sit up on the mountain to listen for them do that . It tells me where they like to hang out and how many there are but I just plain like to hear them singing a part of my past , present and future that means a lot to me .

I find some people that I can respect and enjoy visiting with . I spent a lot of years saying that you don't make good friends after high school just good acquaintances ( a throw back from a hard place ) but come to find out I was wrong , ( for the only time in my life I'm not human and have never done anything wrong ) sarcasm on my part towards myself !

All the best people I know, All carry guns.........attempting to grow up in rural Minni-dam-sota and still working on it in Mon-dam-tana, I have learned that people enjoy acknowledgement and conversation. On my fathers side I come from a long line of bullsh-tters, can walk into a cafe anywhere and start up a conversation, just walk up to a table of ol geezer having coffee and ask which one of them is full of the most b.s. that will get the ball rolling. My Lady says it best in her Grandfathers memory, you are only a stranger once with him, same with me. GOD put us on this beautiful earth to help OTHERS, not just ourselves, try to always remember that. Take great joy in helping my fellow human beings, maybe making up for not being a good person always in my youth.
But Davy "Sheetz" Crockett :oops:🤣is right!!!!, this is a wonderful thread.
You described Bill Austins calls very well and I remember the first time I used a ki-yi coyote distress on it, called in a pair and I nailed the female and had that male run off and turn around and come back within 150 yards and stop, smoked em both, I thought WOW, is this the ticket or what. One thing that I have noticed is, if a pairs comes in, shoot the female as the male may come back to the ki-yi but the female rarely does..Have you found this to be true?
And yes you were wrong on the making friends part, thru my whole life so far, I have met some D-m wonderful people and I have high hopes of meeting a lot more GOD willing.............. and I let you on to another secret...........you know why most people are so d-m good????? Because of that little piece of HIM, HE puts inside us when we are born...........think about ☝didnt get that nick name Reverend for the heck of it. 💪 never miss the opportunity to plant a seed.......or help some one in need.

Last edited: