Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

I hunted wolves in Canada back in 2000 and the fellow I met up there, he was the one who snared that black female they released in yellowstone and she lived a long time, remember they were celebrating how many litters she raised.......she is gone now........he was paid $2000 US for every wolf snared that was healthy. All the locals thought us Yankees fell on our heads as they said "once they populate, you will wish you never released them".....they had a special kind of snare that would not choke down, would only go so far, so the wolf would be alive. You all want to know another smart predator, the grizzly has some brains also, any predator that lives 20-35 years acquires lots of experiences and gets very sharp.

I agree that they never should have introduced the wolves. Somebody must have bumped his head just prior to making that decision. It has been nothing but trouble ever since.

The thing that protects those wolves is the amount of territory they can cover in a short amount of time and the rough country they live in. I can go calling coyotes and on a good day get 2-6 coyotes, I can hunt wolves for 5 days and may not see anything but tracks. Do not feel they are smarter than a coyote, just such a large range and most of it has no roads, all of the coyotes range has roads.

Except some humans we have become domesticated and lost some of that but we can and do pick it up when needed for the most part . It hit me between the eyes when they turned them loose . I knew old timers that had been around when they were here that weren't happy at all .

I did some coyote and beaver work for a guy down here that showed me an article written about a wolf den taken on his ranch when it was his dad's back in 1939 . He said it was the last den taken in this county and hoped that there wouldn't be any more in the future .

Bears are very intelligent also .
I read a story , and saw the video to verify the happening , that in Minnesota ( I think that was the state where this occurred ) at the state fish hatchery , workers arrived one morning to find one of the trout ponds ( which were a long , narrow concrete fixture ) had been drained sometime during the previous night , and all of the fish were dead .
The next morning they arrived and found that a second trout pond had been drained , and all of the fish had died , same as the night before . Vandals were thought to be the most likely culprits , so the Dept. of Fish and Wildlife set up a camera and floodlights that were motion activated , in hopes of capturing video of the perpetrators .
Nothing happened the next couple of nights , but on the morning after the third night , after camera set-up , they found another pond dry and fish dead .
They quickly reviewed the video and discovered a large Black Bear standing on his back legs , turning the steel wheel on the valve mechanism that drained the brood ponds . When the water level had dropped , the bear then got into the pond , and gorged himself on fish .
One of the hatchery workers recognized the bear , saying that he had seen this bear on several occasions , at the edge of the trees that surrounded the hatchery , watching him as he had released the water to lower the level sufficiently to scoop-up the fish to load into the hatchery trucks for stocking programs at various lakes in that area .

DMP25-06

Over the years I've done a lot of beaver control work . It relates to coyote work in a few ways . The caster glands are used in lure and scent making as are the oil glands . The liver is used as bate often . The rest of the beaver is given to bear hunters that use it as bate for them . To harvest the glands it's best done in the spring when they are marking their territory and breading after the winter . I skinned them by cutting around their wrists and ankles then removing the paws and hind feet . I would cut around the base of the tail , then from between the lower teeth down the stomach to the tail . I would then skin the tight skin from the tail area up to the hip area where it has a layer of membrane between the layers of meat . I will leave a layer of meat on the hide . I turn the beaver over onto it's stomach step on it's tail and pull the hide up to the head then skin out the head . I will spread the hide out fur side down lay the beaver on it stomach up and cut the glands out they are beside the vent and are quite easily seen . When beaver use the caster for marking they will push urine into the caster sacks that will dissolve the caster . So to use the caster I would dry the sacks out then grind them up with a small hand powered meat grinder . put that into a bottle and get some beaver urine to mix in with it just like they do . Best beaver lure I found . When I use it for fox , coyote or cat lure or in bate it doesn't take but a lima bean size amount for a pint it's just a smell dispersing agent then . Getter butter made from bone meal or blood meal has just a lima bean size amount to the pint and the contents of two oil glands in it for smell and to keep it from drying out or freezing and in the real cold weather 3 or 4 drops of skunk scent oil . I have found the fox like the taste of skunk well . If you get too much caster then the animals will rub on your M-44 instead of pulling it especially cats . You will see that your capsule holder will have fur all over it . If you are using it at a flat set in the backing and it has too much caster you will get sprung traps where they want the smell on them instead of wanting to eat it and stepping on the pan . You really have to work at learning cats to get one to pull an M-44 . But I've have kittens pull my marking steaks and play with them . They chew them up and carry them off some times you can't find them but most times they get tired of them soon and drop them close by

Dave, you weren't the Wy-dam-O-ming spelling bee champ were you?? This is coming from a slow witted elevator manager.........Bait- not bate......breeding- not breading..........sorry :rolleyes: I couldn't help myself.....1st wife was a school teacher.....and she done ed-Gee-kate-ed me.......and among-st friends, we gotta have some fun 😉🍻 but I will tell you one thing.......you sure are full of good interesting, stories, thanks!!!!!

Last edited:
I was . My brother tells me still can't f @$%^ spell can you . So I ask do you know what I'm talking about . Well then I'm not going to worry much about it if you can . He's an Iron Worker and mean as you would want to meet during the day not on a dark dimly lit street . Coyote can't read what I write any way just what I do out there . Darn it I might have gone to ground there for awhile . Didn't you see the sparks fly when that loose wire hit the dirt . Well I've had a lot of fun out there and remember a lot of the things that I've done because I enjoyed what I was doing . My nick name at one time was cricket but then it got changed to professor for some unknown reason . By the way maybe they were getting ready to have some fried beaver and they were breading themselves for it .

DSheetz, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind why they called you "Professor". I still think you all should write a book together. Heck if this keeps going much longer (which I hope it does) you guys could almost do a box set of encyclopedias lol.

Reemty J , I hope that I never get to where I can't laugh with people about things I say or do . I got cricket from asia you never knew what was crawling around . It was hot and humid and most of us had heat rash from our waist bands to our knees so we put on some kind of cream they gave us probably for diaper rash . and then we didn't wear under shorts . Well one day some of us were walking along when I felt some creature crawling up my leg . It felt like it was a monster sized creature . Down went my dungaree pants quicker then I could think about it . It ended up being a cricket about an inch and a half long . I sure was glad not many people were around but you know how things like that get out .

I have an addiction to hunting coyote and spent at least 30 years hunting all but 10 to 15 days out of the year and up to 12 hours a day at it . That's almost all I wanted to do I'm not sure how my wife put up with it . I finally got it under control . I never did hate coyote as some people do , I just enjoyed being out hunting , trapping and snaring them . The challenge of matching wits with an animal that others had tried to kill and hadn't gotten was why I enjoyed it so much . To go out and get the problem animal or animals that were killing livestock as quickly and efficiently as I could as a personal challenge to myself then the feeling of satisfaction at getting the job done is the addictive part of why I did it so much for so long . To get done what others had tried and not gotten done was my drug that I fed on a sense of self worth of being useful to society . They called it survivors guilt I didn't know what it was just a drive to hunt coyote . That is why I have spent so much time out there and have had so many experiences hunting coyote no excuses just the way life turned out for me . I'm glad I hunted instead of doing other drugs or laying around drunk as some have and now I have some thing to share with others that they may enjoy and perhaps learn some small amount from at the same time . If you have some interesting hunting stories to share please do we all will enjoy hearing them and not a one of us will make fun of you but we darn sure will laugh with you as you can with us . Dave

was my drug that I fed on a sense of self worth of being useful to society .
Dave, we are sent to earth to help others, because HE has a piece of HIM in us, HE made us!!!! That is your reason for being useful in society........there is a fellow in a town i used to live in, he enjoyed calling me Reverend........... :rolleyes: :eek:
This has been a very interesting thread, contributed to from many, but ol Dsheetz.......is the general in this thread. 💪

Reverned Reemty , Thank You I finally came home from S E Asia a few years back . I have been around what Moses termed natural man way too many times . Ok now I'll go back to the coyote stories and off my soap box and back to my love of it all . I have so much that I want to learn from so many .