Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

I need to start writing down my experiences . The amount of interesting things I have done and lived through all ready in 12+ years have been crazy. I share my experiences in person but this early in my career and the way our society is I am hesitant to put them out in the open. I do greatly enjoy aiding local guys in their coyote pursuits being calling, trapping, or snaring.

belldar , You should share some of them with us we will enjoy them . All of us have had experiences that are hard to imagine unless you have had them so we know that there are some amazing things that take place and any time you are dealing with coyote expect the un-expected to happen .

KV9v1l7l.jpg

So I took my nephew and bil out yesterday for a half day of calling. It was his first experience with it and we did manage to scrape up one. We jumped it in a meadow and it moseyed back into the hills. We probably could have taken the shot as it wasn't too skittish and held up at 350 or so for a while, but I said let it get out of sight and we'll flank it down wind in the hills and call it back to us. Well the first set didn't work like we hoped, so went another 400 yds back in and managed to call it in. The bad thing we were split up to cover all angles, and it only showed itself to me. But any day with a coyote is a good day and they both had a good time.

On our way out of the ranch I stopped to glass a small prairie dog town, and sure enough a coyote was working it. This was at noon thirty or so, and he didn't appear to see us 1/2 or 2/3 mile out. So we made a play to call him in, but he never showed. Played some pdog distress pretty low to start with. We were down wind, but he could have gone around possibly to wind us, or he could have boogied out. We didn't set up in sight of him as I didn't think we could do it undetected. No telling how much calling has been going on out there so far, but it was tough sledding.

They definitely want to go again and I predict that boy will shoot his share of coyotes (and everything else) in his lifetime.

They would put their fingers into the glass then stroked the knife on the outside of the glass the same as you would with a steel . It will keep one sharp but you can't make a real dull knife sharp just keep the edge razor sharp about like using a hard Arkansas stone or a ceramic . Try it and see how it polishes your edge for you . Those old timers had a few tricks that they learned out of necessity .

They would put their fingers into the glass then stroked the knife on the outside of the glass the same as you would with a steel . It will keep one sharp but you can't make a real dull knife sharp just keep the edge razor sharp about like using a hard Arkansas stone or a ceramic . Try it and see how it polishes your edge for you . Those old timers had a few tricks that they learned out of necessity .
Very interesting. I've always used a stone and steel pretty good but never heard that trick before. I'll have to try that sometime. I know in my area the old trick for keeping a good shovel was to rub it with a silver spoon. It would serve 2 porpuses to rust proof it and to keep dirt from sticking to it. The tile and ditch diggers from way back always kept a spoon in thier pockets (much to thier wives dismay) and would do it every break and during lunches. They would almost look chromed.

I've got a shovel that I irrigated with that has been used enough that it's worn off flat on the spade instead of pointed my brothers girl friend ask him why I had ground the point off of my shovel . We had a good laugh then explained it was from digging and the sandy soil had worn it off . I know that if you keep them smooth the clay doesn't stick to them as bad .

On shovels, absolutely nothing worse than working with a neglected, dirty, dull, rusty shovel.

My Dad used to wash, wire brush, sharpen with a file if needed, and oil his good shovel after use.

We all have our favorite knife and the reasons why we like it so much . I have a small collection of knives folders and fixed blade knives , my grand dad has been gone for over 45 years but I still have his small Case stockman style folding or pocket knife it's still sharp as a razor and rust free . I don't ever use it , for obvious reasons , but I keep it oiled on the blades and hinge pins . Around forty years ago I wanted a small but sturdy fixed blade knife for use on my trapline . So I knew a guy that put knives together and talked with him as to what I wanted in a knife and what I was going to do with it . He got a blade blank from Norway that was a laminate made it into a knife blade like I had talked with him about , put a brass finger guard and pommel on it with an elk antler handle made a sheath for it I paid him 35.00 took it home and did a little work on the handle by putting finger grooves in it for a better grip in case I had to use it in wet conditions . The blade is 3/32 thick , 1 inch wide and 4 1/2 inch's long . The steel in the blade is so hard that you can't touch it with a file so it takes some stone work to put an edge on it but once you do it's sharp for at least dressing out two elk . That knife is still on my gun belt after all these years of use and will probably go to my grandson along with the 22 long rifle H&R 9 shot revolver when I decide I'm done with them .

Been a busy week, had the great opportunity to meet straight shooter and spend the day, looking at coyotes, visiting and telling stories...preceded to call one coyote in and I had to show him how much air is around a coyote around 280-300 yards😳😔 next day went glassing made two stalks that did not work out so last 1/2 hour of the day went back to a coyote I had spotted in the a.m. he was still bedded in the stubble same spot, on a north slope hill. Was able to come from the southwest and lucky for me the wind picked up to about 10 mph from the northwest to cover my sound as it had been darn near calm all day, makes for tough stalking when calm. Was able to get to 320 yards keeping a grassy fence line between us. Was shooting a little down hill facing almost East to northeast so I had full value wind... ranged him a few times to get best reading.....cranked the scope up to 20 power and waited for him to lift his head, I was sitting with Harris bipod and gave him estimated 7" for wind drift, put the 300 yard hash mark on him....ka-Pow and I heard that welcome " plop" sound, he never moved... 200 yards father down the female got up and ran north, I did not know she was there.....coyotes in this area love to bed in the stubble and with bingos and sharp eyes you can pick them out midday......it was getting dark enough I had a heck of a time finding him...he had yellower wore some teeth and weighed 35 # more to follow......