Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

I've only had one run with the 135's, but only about 75 yards. It was centered through the lungs and just penciled through. After that I've been checking to make sure tips are open and always get a quarter sized exit since.

These two cartridges will take on anything I hunt. What bullet do shoot in your 30-28?
I've been using the welding drill tip tool discussed here to make sure the tips are good.

Shooting 215 Bergers in the 30-28. Bang flop on everything. It's an impressive cartridge.

FYI—it wouldn't repeat, so it was just a lucky group from an unstable load. It's shot a number of really good groups that wouldn't repeat. So back to the drawing board.
If you want to be truly objective and scientific, you have to shoot that group again under the same conditions; otherwise, you will never know whether it is a great load or an unlikely fluke.

When one shoots a really good group, the probability leans toward it NOT having been shot by accident.

Of course, the reliability of your results have a confidence interval that cannot exceed your consistency of marksmanship. But is extremely unlikely that one shoots a smaller group by accident than a larger group. Law of Entropy--small groups don't happen by accident, larger groups do.

And please, no one lecture me on "luck". It doesn't exist.

If you want to be truly objective and scientific, you have to shoot that group again under the same conditions; otherwise, you will never know whether it is a great load or an unlikely fluke.

When one shoots a really good group, the probability leans toward it NOT having been shot by accident.

Of course, the reliability of your results have a confidence interval that cannot exceed your consistency of marksmanship. But is extremely unlikely that one shoots a smaller group by accident than a larger group. Law of Entropy--small groups don't happen by accident, larger groups do.

I'm feeling very confident in my shooting now. I believe I am capable of shooting 3" groups. I can shoot repeatable 3" groups with my 30-28N at that range. Just need to figure out what this rifle likes.

That's an interesting way to look at this. I've never thought about it like this but on the same note guess I'm already doing it. Whenever I'm working on a new one, once I get a good group I'm happy with I'll still try other things up and down the ladder and if no dice will always go back to where it was good and see if it or I can do it again.

Luck favors the prepared

I have been known to open the hollow points up to a larger size so that they expand more rapidly. I recently made a hollow pointer, for some 6.5, 140-grain full metal jacket bullets. They used to sell them years back when there was a lot of excess military ammo on the market. They make center drills for metal lathes that work well for drilling in the center of them on the tips with the right set up for guiding them. In today's world there are so many good bullets made that it isn't necessary to improvise like it was before, during and just after WW2. Berger says that their 133 grain bullets are designed to expand well with a jacket material that will open up readily. A lot of bullets have slight scoring on the tips to also enhance their expansion. The bullets of today are very precise pieces of the equation more so than ever before in the history of shooting.

The left-hand is a factory hollow pointer for a 7.62x25mm, above it is an adapter for 9mm Luger. The right-hand side is the hollow pointer for the 140 grain CM. I am figuring out posting pictures and getting them to be a good size to view them lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0579.jpg
    IMG_0579.jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 32
Copy. I've been shooting the 133's at 2890 in a 25x47. I have had 7 coyotes run off on me with what I felt like where good hits on the center line behind the shoulder. I'll have to try the 135's.

Funny- my 25x47 is a clone to my 30-28. Great minds think alike.

I've only had one run with the 135's, but only about 75 yards. It was centered through the lungs and just penciled through. After that I've been checking to make sure tips are open and always get a quarter sized exit since.

These two cartridges will take on anything I hunt. What bullet do shoot in your 30-28?

Ok, not a coyote bullet, but a deer/hog bullet. Berger should be notified. They could make a run of "MEF" bullets by just not squeezing the HP down as far, not much to ask really, but only a very small market to sell to. Berger may consider the "MEF" on the 135 & 133 counterproductive to shoot a very high BC bullet, reduce BC to make open on coyotes, p. dogs, Chucks. They will be looking at their target market in the decision.

The hornady poly tip may be an answer for coyotes, chucks, and p. dogs. Lets hope the Hornady bullet stays together and does not blow up 100 feet from the muzzle.

Last edited:
It was a nice morning today; we got a little rain last night. there weren't any fox, bobcat or coyote tracks where I went this morning. but on the first stand this doe jumped up and let me know she wasn't happy with a coyote sneaking up on her and howling. She hung around snorting at me and came within 25 feet wanting the coyote to leave her area.

Attachments

• IMG_0582.jpg
    IMG_0582.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0581 (1).jpg
    IMG_0581 (1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
This is pretty typical of the lower country that I am in it's pretty rough, but the coyotes will stand out pretty well. They like to hit a high place and look, maybe howl or bark before moving unless you are close to the den then you have to look for them, standing, sitting or lying just watching you. I have taken many dens from the juniper breaks here in the past. Unless they talk it's a lot of hard walking to track them down in any of this country. The bare ground has small loose pebbles on its surface making it hard to stand and walk if it's very steep. If it's wet it is slick and sticks to your boots.