Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

windypants: have you been able to see your coyotes and are they still in the area of the den site you found? When a person can just watch them, they are so interesting. At times when I didn't have to kill them, because they were killing, is when I learned from them the most. You can find some similarities with coyotes and humans, they all have different sized feet but as a rule the males have bigger feet, but at times like with people you will find a small footed male especially when they are yearlings, they will most times give their lives for their pups, but not always, sometimes they get a babysitter so they can have a break and several other things, including teaching their young what they have learned.

I haven't seen them since I saw the male leaving the day I put up the camera, but they are still using the den. I checked the camera yesterday and have one blurry picture. I guess there won't be much to see or hear until the pups come out. I am starting to see more activity near the den up the valley, but no pup sightings yet there either. Sure looking forward to watching and learning from them. And I just saw a fox go into a den in the ditch down the road from here, so I'll be able to watch them some. I'm more familiar with them as we always had fox dens around here more than coyotes, but now foxes are not as common here.
EK000016.jpeg

The red fox is not as plentiful when there are very many coyotes around. They tend to not survive a coyote attack. I have only seen one coyote den that was as dirty as most fox dens. She was a small female and didn't have a mate or helper some butt head killed them for killing and eating lambs, so she was having to work hard to feed her four pups. I'm glad they are still using the den hole you found you will have some enjoyable time watching them.

It's pretty well shed off nice smooth coat. Was it a male or a female? If it's a female she doesn't look to be nursing any pups. I like the woven wire fences for coyote control work, here they run a lot of them for sheep and the coyotes like to dig under them or find a place to crawl under instead of jumping over them most times making for good snaring.

It's pretty well shed off nice smooth coat. Was it a male or a female? If it's a female she doesn't look to be nursing any pups. I like the woven wire fences for coyote control work, here they run a lot of them for sheep and the coyotes like to dig under them or find a place to crawl under instead of jumping over them most times making for good snaring.
Male about 25 lbs.
IMG_5238.png
The set was made on the outside of my yard so my dogs don't get in it well when it clamped down on his foot, he freaked out and actually went through a hole in the wire.

Watched a big coyote last night (thermal) work through a group of cattle. I was amazed at his ability to scent out the calf's and find the isolated calf. I believe he was looking for an injured or a dead one. He approached one calf laying down. Cow was maybe 15-20 yards off. He literally went nose to nose with the calf before the calf stood up and he wondered off.

I attempted a standing worn tripod 500 yard+ with a thermal. Didn't work out but got some good video coverage.

Nice work 338 dude, I couldn't see it's belly but thought it probably was a male from what I could see. I came over a hill one morning and my wife asked me what was standing on the fence down about an 1/8th of a mile was a coyote in a snare standing on the top wire with its front feet and down a couple of wires on the woven wire. We run two strands of barbed wire above the 36" woven wire. It looks like you run around 16" -18" of chain on your traps. There was a fad here where people ran short chains and it let the animal pump the stakes out of the ground I snared several with traps on their feet then.

Have a safe, happy and healthy Memorial Day as we remember those who gave their lives for us to have the freedoms that we have today. It can be so easy for us to take them for granted, they were hard earned by some!!!! 4.7 million served during WW1, 16 million served during WW2, 6.8 million served during the Koren war, 2.7 million served during Vietnam, 1.5 million served in Iraq, 775,000 served in Afghanistan, There are many who served in other places of the world during other conflicts and so very many who are still serving around the world today keeping an eye out for our freedoms, please take the time to have a moment of silent reflection for those who served and are serving no matter what your beliefs about it are. I have some very strong opinions about somethings and Hanoi Jane is one of them, we live in the best country that I have ever seen. Okay I am done as this is not the place for political views this is the place for views of the way coyotes live and how we should go about hunting, trapping and calling them as well as just observing them to learn more of them. Thank you all for your patience and tolerance of me getting off subject so far at times. Be happy, safe and well.