Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

My thought on deburring the flash holes is that the flash of the primer ignites the powder more evenly with an even hole that is the same depth on all of the cases making things more consistent. The reasoning for squaring and cutting the primer pockets to an even depth is that the primers can be seated to the same depth and flat in the pocket. So that the firing pin will strike it with a consistent pressure and the primer doesn't move forward so it then ignites consistently kind of like some of the bench rest guys used to fill the space in their case with fiber so that the powder didn't flow to the side of the case, or they would use a powder that they could over fill the case and have a compressed load for an even ignition of the powder instead of igniting one side of the load first. It's all in how one thinks about it may be kind of like being superstitious and wearing a lucky shirt or carrying a lucky call. Removing things that might or might not make a difference in accuracy at distance. Besides it's fun to me.

I do believe many of the things others do in their proccess does hold some level of merit. I'm sure you all have loaded and shot many 1000's of rounds more than I and more calibers too as I only load for a handful. Personally so far I've been able to get my "pet loads" without having to do the other things so I've just rolled with it. Kinda like windypants wanting to try some other stuff but with it working so good not wanting to mess up a good thing. I do try to use the best components I can afford especially brass so that may be helping me too.

74honker; if what you are doing works for you and you are happy with the results why change anything. I just ramble on and sometimes try to explain my thoughts on what I do there are so many ways that people can and do, do things that work for them. I reload the way that I do, and modify my rifles, just for my satisfaction and the pleasure that I get out of doing it, and that's the way others should do what they do also if they want to dive deeper into what they do good for them if they don't want to get deeply involved in doing something that also is good for them we are here to enjoy ourselves and each other's company so we talk about the why and way of doing somethings that we enjoy doing. I live on a budget and can't afford a lot of the things that others have to play with but make do with what I can afford as do so many others in the world of hunting coyotes. It's mostly about the enjoyment of doing what we do now that it isn't a job that has to be done for me tinkering with my loading is one of the pleasures in life, working with wood or building a good knife, spending time with my family and dog are other things that I also get pleasure from talking on this form is another way that I enjoy spending time possibly being able to give someone some help along the way brings me pleasure. We are here to bring enjoyment to others, help them if they want it or need it and enjoy ourselves along the way. I love to learn different ways of doing things but that doesn't mean I will do things that way I do have that option though if I know about it but figure I don't have the option to if I don't know about it. I hope all are well and healthy, warm and dry at this time. The wind laid down last night, but we woke up to at least 6 inches of new snow and more is falling. I am ready to have some warmer less windy, wintery weather. Stay safe and healthy all I'm going to have a cup of coffee and watch it snow then maybe I will get the blower out and move it around when it slows down.

I completely agree with all of that Dave. Though I don't do alot of things others do I still study it and find it interesting. I've been lucky enough to not have to go down some of those roads to get where I needed so that's what sets my proccess for now. Here we've been up and down weather wise. I'd say spring has sprung here as we have alot of trees budding and grass getting close to mowing now. I do believe we have one more cold snap left though. Old timers say the frogs will get froze 3 times before full spring. They've only been froze twice so far lol. More storms here for tomorrow.

You are going to start getting the weather that has been here for a couple of days. I hadn't heard that about the frogs, I have heard some things like the amount of black on the wooly worms or the type of sprouts in the persimmon seeds forecasting the type of winter the old timers had the time and exposure to the world they lived in to study those things that when we moved from agricultural lives to industrial lives and stopped paying attention to the way nature tells us things. We have a tendency to want things now and not take the time that people used to have to take for things to come about. I am glad to start seeing some grass greening on the hill sides at this time instead of the browns and yellows of the bare dirt and dried grass.

Last edited:
Going way off the subject of coyotes. I was working as a certified welder on pressure piping and vessels, boiler tubing and rotating equipment. I got tasked with putting abrasive resistant weld beads on a fans blading, the fan was 10 foot in diameter and turned at 1750 RPM when it was up to speed, I took my time and laid out my weld pattern followed the preheat and post heat procedures. Made a nice-looking job of it, the guy that came in after my night shift was over laughed at me told me what a fool, I was for being so precise about it and proceeded to just haphazardly lay rod to it. They then tried to run it up to balance it, it was way out of balance plus because the welding procedures hadn't been followed there were cracks in the blades that they didn't notice. It nearly got up to speed before it came apart a large piece of it severed a main steam line on the boiler that was at 2500 pounds of 850-degree steam. It killed the other welder, the balancer and an electrician. I had served with the electrician when I was in the Navy, so I knew him well. I also knew the other two well. Again, I was reinforced with the fact that there are times to be OCD and times that you don't have to be the last words that Tye spoke to me were I like working with you because you know when to work hard and when to f8903-off.

I made another trip to a ranch where I'd taken 10 coyotes within a mile of their calving pen. I saw 6 this morning, including a pair. I got the pregnant female at 590 yards, but couldn't stop the male for a shot. He was right behind her almost lined up for a 2 in 1, so it really spooked him. Then just down the draw, I found a cleaned out den—presumably theirs. There was a skiff of fresh snow and tracks all around it but they didn't go in. So a pretty good morning.
4-3coy.JPG
4-3den.JPG

I made another trip to a ranch where I'd taken 10 coyotes within a mile of their calving pen. I saw 6 this morning, including a pair. I got the pregnant female at 590 yards, but couldn't stop the male for a shot. He was right behind her almost lined up for a 2 in 1, so it really spooked him. Then just down the draw, I found a cleaned out den—presumably theirs. There was a skiff of fresh snow and tracks all around it but they didn't go in. So a pretty good morning.View attachment 453464
How big is that den opening? 6-8" across maybe?

Going way off the subject of coyotes. I was working as a certified welder on pressure piping and vessels, boiler tubing and rotating equipment. I got tasked with putting abrasive resistant weld beads on a fans blading, the fan was 10 foot in diameter and turned at 1750 RPM when it was up to speed, I took my time and laid out my weld pattern followed the preheat and post heat procedures. Made a nice-looking job of it, the guy that came in after my night shift was over laughed at me told me what a fool, I was for being so precise about it and proceeded to just haphazardly lay rod to it. They then tried to run it up to balance it, it was way out of balance plus because the welding procedures hadn't been followed there were cracks in the blades that they didn't notice. It nearly got up to speed before it came apart a large piece of it severed a main steam line on the boiler that was at 2500 pounds of 850-degree steam. It killed the other welder, the balancer and an electrician. I had served with the electrician when I was in the Navy, so I knew him well. I also knew the other two well. Again, I was reinforced with the fact that there are times to be OCD and times that you don't have to be the last words that Tye spoke to me were I like working with you because you know when to work hard and when to f8903-off.
Pretty serious stuff when people get killed from sloppy work! I'll bet your bosses and co- workers really appreciated you.

It is the time when you will start seeing clean outs. They often are a little higher than that but that's about the right size for them. They might make several before she finds one that she really likes and will have her pups in it. I noticed that most of them had openings where the sun would shine on them in the mornings. Most of the management hated me because of what I knew and wasn't afraid to say, but they would get someone else to ask me how to do something then take credit for coming up with the solution to the problem. I still get calls from people asking me how to fix some things six years after I have retired from all of my jobs. I bailed an engineer out one time saving the company 16 million dollars in down time he got a big bonus, but he did buy me lunch and said thank you. It's funny how people will sometimes become really insecure about what others know and afraid of them because they feel they might take their job. I had people call me from other places to ask me how to fix their problem to me that was why I did what I did and made me feel good. To me that all applied to my coyote control because I was OCD about it also. Coyote work was and is my passion just being out there doing something that is helpful to another person so that they can make a living doing what is their passion is gratifying to me a thank you and a handshake goes far with me, so working at a different job to pay for my addiction of coyote control was well worth it.

tbird86; Was it near the base of a cut bank, was it on a flat slope, what did it smell like, did it have a lot of fleas in and around it. Female red fox at this time will have a strong musky odor similar to skunk, swift fox not so much but them and prairie dogs will have a ton of fleas in their den holes as do the red fox. Badgers dig rather large holes with dirt thrown back away from them often and not many fleas, rabbits usually have a smaller hole with a dust bath close by. Skunks make small holes like rabbits and swift fox do but you can smell them.