Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

How is your weather there windypants? You should see some moving as well as the deer. We are getting the storm that hit you yesterday. It was supposed to get here around midnight but didn't get here till around 8:00 this morning. It's been snowing and blowing all day here with 26 mph winds and gusts to 65mph not much accumulation it will get icy tonight. I'm sure glad that I haven't had to count on hunting and calling for coyote control for the last three years as it's been so windy. Long range shots would be out of the question with the high winds and gusts we have had. I'm glad that I have been able to stay in out of the wind and weather now and not had the need to be out in it. It wasn't bad when I was younger or maybe I just didn't pay attention to it that much was it windy today? I didn't notice.

That storm didn't amount to much here. Nice today but high winds coming for the weekend, with more unsettled March type weather next week. Only saw one coyote today— a big male just passing through the area on a long lope. I watched and tried to follow him off and on for over two miles and he never slowed down. He sure thought he needed to be somewhere else in a hurry.

My view from the office this afternoon😉
3-31.JPG

That storm didn't amount to much here. Nice today but high winds coming for the weekend, with more unsettled March type weather next week. Only saw one coyote today— a big male just passing through the area on a long lope. I watched and tried to follow him off and on for over two miles and he never slowed down. He sure thought he needed to be somewhere else in a hurry.

My view from the office this afternoon😉View attachment 452732
Man what a view!!!

Gotta love that view, those valleys with the willows in them are favorites here you just can't get to them here without a snowmachine at this time. I've been up there above 8000 feet in the dead of winter on a sunny day when there wasn't any sign of life above the snow drifts not even a bird but it's still beautiful. I'm glad that you saw at least one coyote even if it was moving out of the area. Keep track of your sightings and you will get a correlation of your best bet on having them moving. the storms passing through, the wind and temperatures as well as the moon positions they all play a part in it. Are those cattle in the right hand side of the picture out on the clear snow?

I have a few of his calls and though they have similarity, no 2 are identical. It's interest how differing wood type influences the sound result. I'll dig up the individual videos I have of sound bites of him outside demonstrating the 4 call model's he turns. This video, in part, will help introduce you to his calls.

I have made my own calls for several years and am familiar with how different woods change the sound and tone of a call. most of the plastic calls have a sharp crisp sound while wood gives it a mellow tone depending on the density of the wood. So far, the best wood that I have found was French walnut left over from rifle stocks that a friend gave me who was a custom rifle builder. American walnut does good as well for giving a good mellow howl. I haven't tried many of the exotic woods, cocobolo being one that I did as well as purple heart but when you get to working with a lot of those types of wood, they have toxic properties. I have wanted to try some persimmon root as it is pretty dense and very hard, they use it for golf club heads on drivers. His calls are sure pretty.

I thought that the national weather service said we going to change to El Nino and that it wouldn't be as windy here. I sure hope it does it pretty soon. We are under a severe wind warning again today steady winds of 25-35 mph and gusts of 65mph. I think we have only had around one day a week average with winds lower then 10-15 mph all winter long (October -March).

Recent Posts