Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

Me being me and kind of OCD about most things I enjoy figuring things out that a lot of people find frustrating . I made a good living most of my life solving other peoples problems and found it to be true that the devil actually is in the details . That's probably why I enjoyed being by myself so much of the time to think and observe things and see what was different then they should be . I find it interesting to look at things and see the changes that take place . I have a rescue Jack Russell . So I have a lawn chair and table in my back yard that has been there all summer when I mowed the other day I moved it around . The little guy noticed it right off and wasn't sure what to make of the new arrangement he staired at it then had some low growls as he cautiously advanced to check it out . Coyote see the subtle changes in their world even more readily then my little dog that's how they stay alive . What's that new lump on my hill side it wasn't there yesterday when I came through here I will be a little more cautious then usual as I check out that rabbit that's squealing in distress .

Finally got my new rifle put together. Another 300 prc on a Curtis valor. The action is taking me a minute to get used to. The throw is so short and easy it messes with me. Honestly thought something was wrong when I threw a virgin brass in it. This new vortex 6-36 is the nicest all around scope I've ever been around. I debated a lot of scopes and finally went back to vortex as my experience so far with them has been excellent. Will be mostly competing in the local bench matches when the open back up in November. Going to break the barrel in this Thursday along with some more work on the 7mm and the 6creed.

Attachments

• 69B2009E-04D0-4C05-9620-09C615C815F8.jpeg
    69B2009E-04D0-4C05-9620-09C615C815F8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
Here's the 7mm and 2 shot velocity ladder with the 131 hammers with a v3 strapped to it. It's killed a lot of animals

Attachments

• 4AE4006A-1158-4EAD-8999-BFA7726A9333.jpeg
    4AE4006A-1158-4EAD-8999-BFA7726A9333.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • 1F413E95-12D4-45F2-A0E7-187F248BB501.jpeg
    1F413E95-12D4-45F2-A0E7-187F248BB501.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
the bottom left is a 3 shot group with fire form loads and factory seconds. The was another target that was basically the same. It's an oddball action my buddy picked up many years ago for $300. Shot the barrel out in the 90's, had it rebarreled and then a custom stock. They had to cut an aftermarket stock apart and build it around the action. He can shoot it offhand almost as good as I can shoot off a tripod standing

It is. I really like it. I've shot off of it with a different 300prc and it fits me. I'll have to ask my buddy what action that is on his 7mm. He said the ol boy that rebarreled it back in the 90's said don't ever get rid of it.

If you were closer I'd definitely let you shoot it. To me it feels similar to a McMillan. Kind of thick and helps keeps me from torquing. So his 7mm action is a Parker Hale/Herters u9. It's not very smooth but very accurate

I just read a short article on a rifle that MDT built with a 6 foot barrel just to see how it affected the bullet performance chambered in 308 , they used factory ammo . It didn't say how often they cleaned it if they broke it in and some other things weren't mentioned . They did say that they were cutting the barrel off an inch at a time with a band saw and that they had built a chassis stock and had supported the barrel with bipod's . I think it would be interesting to read the complete report on that testing as well as when they built the tallest scope mounts just to see how it affected scope performance . Any of you guys running one of their chassis stocks ?

I've gone to a state high power match when they were shooting hunter class. Basically a hunting rifle with a light little scope and super high scope rings to allow them to rest they're elbow into they're sides. The national champion was there and never missed out to 500 meters with 5 targets at each station. Crazy

I just read a short article on a rifle that MDT built with a 6 foot barrel just to see how it affected the bullet performance chambered in 308 , they used factory ammo . It didn't say how often they cleaned it if they broke it in and some other things weren't mentioned . They did say that they were cutting the barrel off an inch at a time with a band saw and that they had built a chassis stock and had supported the barrel with bipod's . I think it would be interesting to read the complete report on that testing as well as when they built the tallest scope mounts just to see how it affected scope performance . Any of you guys running one of their chassis stocks ?
I have a mdt on a 6.5 Creedmoor. They do a blemish sale on Black Friday and I picked one up a few years ago. Very nice

Thanks

Buck

The other night my wife and I went to a fish fry that one of the ranchers I worked for has some hunters that put on a good feed every year . I was visiting with his and his brothers son - in - laws ( they neither one had any sons ) So the boys are now doing the coyote control and are learning how to do it the best that they can . As we visited I was telling them a little more about how I did den hunting . I told them that one of the hardest things was for me when I came up on a den was to not bother it not even look at it just to go on by then circle around and get my position set up to my advantage and then call the adults to me before taking the den . A strange look came on two of their faces and they then said that's where we messed up and why we couldn't get the adults we took the den first . We rode up on it when working cattle then looked it over , finished moving cattle came back and took the den and then tried to call the adults but there were only a couple of pups in the den . The adults had been close by the den when they had looked at it and messed around it , so when they rode off to finish moving the cattle the adults got busy and were moving the pups to another location . Now they were telling me that in the same pasture there were a bunch of young coyote running around and that they never did get the adults . yes they put their cart in front of the horse but after I visited with them and explained it to them they will know next year what not to do . They are good people and want to learn how to do it to their advantage willing to learn from their mistakes and open to being told how to look at it from a different angle .