Rains affect

I've shot on paper in medium to heavy rain at 500 yards and saw no measureable or detrimental effect other than retrieving a soggy target. I shot a 1 moa sized target at 800 yards repeatedly in heavy snow with no noticeable effect. It was bad enough that I could hardly see the target and had to wait for it to periodically appear through the snow fall. I'm of the opinion that the shock wave travelling ahead of the bullets either moves or vaporizes any droplets that are in its path.

I was shooting a 17 hmr last winter and the bullet hit a raindrop and exploded. The paper looked like shrapnel hit it.
I've had the same thing happen with .204's at 100yds. I didn't believe it the first time it happened but after several consecutive shots I was thoroughly convinced.

I know one thing, you usually cant get lazer reads in the rain or snow. At least not w/ my Lieca 1200 at mush distance

deserthntr,

They shoot flatter in rain, just as though you were shooting a higher velocity or a much higher BC bullet (which in these conditions, you are). The effect isn't caused by the rain itself, but rather by what's causing it to rain; a substantially lowered barometric pressure.

Think about it for a moment. On days where the barometer's high, we're usually talking about clear, sunny skies, and virtually no rain, ever. When a low pressure front moves in (i.e., when the barometer falls) you see the clouds and eventually rain. The flattened trajectory isn't caused by the rain itself, but by the lowered barometric pressure and reduced air density that the bullet is now travelling through. In essence, the bullet now behaves as though it was moving at a much higher velocity, or had a significantly higher ballistic coefficient.

Same thing applies to very humid days. Most people assume that all that humidity equates to denser air. Why not? It feels like it, and it makes sense at first glance. However, we need to remeber that very humid air doesn't have water in it, it has water vapor. The higher hydorgen content of the water vapor actually makes this air lighter (as in, less dense) than very dry air. Take a look at sub-freezing temps, with zero humidity. There, you're talking about very dense air, much harder for a projectile to travel through.

Not just speaking theory here about the rain, either. Some years back, in reviewing my old data books from High Power Service Rifle competitions, I found that over half my points in earning my Distinguished Rifleman's badge were earned in the rain. Without fail, my zeros in the rain were at least a full minute or two DOWN from what they were on dry days. Granted, with a Service Rifle, light plays a role in this, but I've seen the same pattern in some scoped matches as well. Rain rolls in, you'll likely need to drop a minute or two to compensate if you're doing any shooting at 500 yards or beyond. Otherwise, your shots will be impacting high on the target or sailing right over it.

Shawn Carlock claims that rain, in itself, has no affect on bullet trajectory. I haven't researched it.

I am going with Shawn's answer. Speedy Gonzales told me the same thing when I asked him once. He said the shockwave the bullet produces around it displaces the rain and it has no effect on the bullet. Have you ever been driving down the hwy in the rain and see that there is a dry spot on the hood of your vehicle? The path the air takes over the hood pushes the rain away. Makes sense to me anyway.

deserthntr,

They shoot flatter in rain, just as though you were shooting a higher velocity or a much higher BC bullet (which in these conditions, you are). The effect isn't caused by the rain itself, but rather by what's causing it to rain; a substantially lowered barometric pressure.

Think about it for a moment. On days where the barometer's high, we're usually talking about clear, sunny skies, and virtually no rain, ever. When a low pressure front moves in (i.e., when the barometer falls) you see the clouds and eventually rain. The flattened trajectory isn't caused by the rain itself, but by the lowered barometric pressure and reduced air density that the bullet is now travelling through. In essence, the bullet now behaves as though it was moving at a much higher velocity, or had a significantly higher ballistic coefficient.

Same thing applies to very humid days. Most people assume that all that humidity equates to denser air. Why not? It feels like it, and it makes sense at first glance. However, we need to remeber that very humid air doesn't have water in it, it has water vapor. The higher hydorgen content of the water vapor actually makes this air lighter (as in, less dense) than very dry air. Take a look at sub-freezing temps, with zero humidity. There, you're talking about very dense air, much harder for a projectile to travel through.

Not just speaking theory here about the rain, either. Some years back, in reviewing my old data books from High Power Service Rifle competitions, I found that over half my points in earning my Distinguished Rifleman's badge were earned in the rain. Without fail, my zeros in the rain were at least a full minute or two DOWN from what they were on dry days. Granted, with a Service Rifle, light plays a role in this, but I've seen the same pattern in some scoped matches as well. Rain rolls in, you'll likely need to drop a minute or two to compensate if you're doing any shooting at 500 yards or beyond. Otherwise, your shots will be impacting high on the target or sailing right over it.
spot on well put:)gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.