Rain and handloaded cartridges

bluedog69

So, still not sure what the heck happened, but some how a box of 243 handloaded shells were found outside by my basement wall.
We had been shooting off of our deck, and I thought I took everything inside. Anyway, either the dog or cat knocked them off while I was carrying stuff back inside.
They were in a green and yellow factory Rem box. The shells and the plastic shell holder were up next to the basement wall where the dirt was still dry for about 1.5 feet away from the house. The green box was found in the front yard chewed up. So I think the dog was involved too.

MAIN QUESTION. These 243 shells may or may not have been rained on. When found they were under our 2 foot overhanging roof where the dirt was still dusty and dry. We had 2" of rain over night. DO I TRUST THESE SHELLS? Shoot a few to check them? If components weren't unavailable I wouldn't worry. I do have about 6 shells in another box that will probably get my 10 year old through deer season, and I can reload a few more if need be.

Just figured I would ask the thoughts of the masses.

Shoot a few and check but my guess is you'll be fine. The caveat to that will be if you had loose primer pockets that *may* have allowed water intrusion. If you didn't experience any loose pockets while loading them I believe you'll be fine.

They should be fine, I've soaked handloads in the kitchen sink for 48hrs and they were god to go

Shoot a few and check but my guess is you'll be fine. The caveat to that will be if you had loose primer pockets that *may* have allowed water intrusion. If you didn't experience any loose pockets while loading them I believe you'll be fine.

Thanks for the advice. I think the primer pockets were good and tight. Only loose feeling pockets I have had were in 22-250 and Federal brass.
These 243 loads have always been for kids so I haven't pushed them and they haven't been reloaded more than 1 or twice.
They have 85 grain Nosler partitions in them. So not a "cheap" plinking bullet.

I inadvertently ran 3 - 257 Weatherby rounds through a clothes washing cycle.

[120 Partitions, 72 grains of IMR 8133, Fed 215] It had no effect on them. I did
not want to take a chance hunting with those rounds, so set up a target at 200M
and shot them. 1.2" group, right where they were supposed to be. Dave.