Rain and Chronographs

Brent

Anyone have problems with their Oehler 35P when it rains on the "skyscreens"?

Mine seemed to have a disagreement between the main and proof MV of 30-90 fps the last time out that I never have seen before.

I finally hooked my Oehler "43" up to another rail I have and got fine results in the rain, well, until the water droplets had to be wiped off the lenses here and there.

The 35p started off working normal, 1,2 or 3 fps difference between proof and main MV, then it just went down hill from there.

After carefully measuring the distance the screens were set apart, thinking one may have loosened and gotten moved from muzzle blast, I found all was perfect, tight, the whole 9 yards.

No idea, but to check it again tomarrow while switching rails between the 35 and 43.

Anyone made rain proof covers for em?

Thanks for any input on this.
smile.gif

Mebbe you zeroed a big fat rain drop and the bullet actually slowed?
rolleyes.gif
Never would have occurred to me to use a chrony in the rain, think I'd definately build a rain shield for it though.

Max,
The rain was pretty light and it looked like we wouldn't get any where we were but, the edge of the system did get us a little for 20-30 minutes right before we left that night. We don't get the heavy rain I'm told you all get down in the lower 48... even when it rains its hardest here.

Anyway, it took about 10 minutes for drops to collect on the lenses to the point 50% of their surfaces had droplets on them. The rain shield would be a good idea when rain/snow might be a possibility.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts