Rabbit Hunting in Utah

Mortgage Man

We went out New Years day and had a blast. I shot eight rabbits in a couple hours. I missed quit a few too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. Man those little guys keep me tuned up in the winter time. Every shot was at one running full speed. I killed several over 150+ yards, which is a long ways for a rabbit running full speed. My 22-250 makes it seem easy though. Thought I would just share this story because hunting rabbits can be a blast. Especially here in Utah there are so many. If you are in the area you gotta try it.

I would agree with you. But,I enjoy taking the AR-15 to stop the little bunny rabbits. I went over the Christmas Holiday, I to had a BLAST. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
But to keep it interesting take the 22 LR out and keep the distance past 75 yards.

I did that too. Man its amazing how high I had to hold and how much you have to lead them. They can humble you in a hurry. Just bought a new AR and haven't had it out yet so we'll see how that goes next.

Where in Utah? I'm in central down by Richfield and boy those buggars are fun. Shot several over the holidays!!

We went out to the West Desert, out by Vernon. I think they are one of the funnest animals to hunt. Especially when they jump and run two feet from ya. There are 100yds away before you know it. Are there any good places down by richfield?

[ QUOTE ]
Every shot was at one running full speed. I killed several over 150+ yards, which is a long ways for a rabbit running full speed. My 22-250 makes it seem easy though. hunting rabbits can be a blast.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 22-250 sure would waste a lot meat. I hate to think that you are shooting a game animal that is great eating and not harvesting the meat.

Dr B

We are hunting JACK rabbits, considered vermint in most of the western states. The west desert is prime real estate for jacks. I normally go between Delta and out west further, not too populated. 22-250 is outstanding bunny medicine, 55gr NBT atop 38.0grs of H-380 is my "pet" load. I guess if you were going to "eat" 'em, then 22-250 would be considered over gunned!!!

[ QUOTE ]

A 22-250 sure would waste a lot meat. I hate to think that you are shooting a game animal that is great eating and not harvesting the meat.

Dr B

[/ QUOTE ]

Dr. B
Like exhaust said...These are not game animals. You don't have to have a license to hunt them. There numbers can get so big so fast that they can eat themselves out of house and home. Thats why you cant hunt them year round here. You could try and eat one but they don't taste good and what very little meat they do have is very stringy.

LRGunner - I'm sure that 17hmr is a good gun for them. I've used everything from my bow (which is really frustrating) to my 6mm. There are alot of rabbits out west. I would like to try going out towards Wendover but haven't had the chance to try somewhere completely new. Ive even had some good luck up north by promontory point though. We have also had alot of luck down by Nephi and Ephraim. And like exhaust mentioned there are alot down towards Delta and Scipio. We were out hunting the book cliffs not too long ago and there are a ton out there. I think there are just as many coyotes out there as rabbits. We saw 3 a day and we were scouting for deer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you are headed towards this neck of the woods shoot me a pm and I can give you more info on places to try.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Every shot was at one running full speed. I killed several over 150+ yards, which is a long ways for a rabbit running full speed. My 22-250 makes it seem easy though. hunting rabbits can be a blast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dr B

[/ QUOTE ]
bjlooper,
In Utah the black tailed jack rabbit that they are talking about are vermin and they are truely not fit to eat. We also have cotton tail rabbit's that are game animals that you need to buy a license to hunt that have a hunt season in the fall, very tasty.
UB

Mortage man i tried pm but something was up and it wouldn't go through but i would like to find some places in utah i am new to the area and a friend showed me where to go in wyoming but didn't know where to go in utah, if you could send me some lines that would be great but right know i am back in alabama after some whitetals but will be back in utah in 2 weeks.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.