R-33

danj

I have devolped a load with r-33 for my 338 edge. The results have been phenomenal. The e.s is under 12 and I have picked up about 100fps with no signs of pressure. Does anyone have multiple rounds through a higher caliber gun with this powder? I am concerned about throat and barrel wear.

I have devolped a load with r-33 for my 338 edge. The results have been phenomenal. The e.s is under 12 and I have picked up about 100fps with no signs of pressure. Does anyone have multiple rounds through a higher caliber gun with this powder? I am concerned about throat and barrel wear.

RL-33 is the powder (Not a higher caliber but any caliber)

I'm running RL-33 in my 338 LM Improved. Converted to RL-33 from VV570 when it disappeared from the market. Great powder. Gets me 3,000 fps w/ 300 gr. Scenar using a 1:10 twist 30" tube. I've put roughly 200-300 rounds through my 338 since the conversion. No idea where its going to end up on total barrel life, but we'll find out.

JeffVN

I have a 7mm wildcat built on a 8x68s. 78 gr. of RL-33 pushes a 180 Berger hybrid at 3110 fps. I'm sure there is another node above this powder weight but it shoots good here.

I'm running RL-33 in my 338 LM Improved. Converted to RL-33 from VV570 when it disappeared from the market. Great powder. Gets me 3,000 fps w/ 300 gr. Scenar using a 1:10 twist 30" tube. I've put roughly 200-300 rounds through my 338 since the conversion. No idea where its going to end up on total barrel life, but we'll find out.

JeffVN

If N570 was still around would you shoot it rather than the R33? I am going to be putting a 338 edge together and was wondering which of these two powders would work the best.

I can't say anything about throat wear due to the fact I'm running a chrome lined barrel, 1:10" Sako TRG-42, but this powder has produce super low ES. Some were the same speeds across both screens, P35, and that's not an easy task to due multiple times.

I will be using it in a 300 Norma Mag when I get it back.

Beeman I'm not sure I could tell the difference; they were both stable in the desert heat, and shot fine in the relative cold of a Vegas Winter (lows in the upper 20s at the lowest) I only had 3 pounds of the VV570 before it left the planet. I made sure to stock up on the RL-33 when I realized how good it was. As a result, I wouldn't be considering buying more VV570 until I burn off a bunch of the RL-33. (at 105.5 gr. per shot it goes away quickly, especially when you shoot 20-30 rounds per desert range session).

JeffVN

Thanks for the info. I'm in Canada so R33 is out for me. N570 is available. We get HUGE temperature swings. When I have time to practice in winter we can have -20-30C. In September I would shoot in 70F. So I really need a stable powder.

I have a 7mm wildcat built on a 8x68s. 78 gr. of RL-33 pushes a 180 Berger hybrid at 3110 fps. I'm sure there is another node above this powder weight but it shoots good here.
Is your wildcat anything like the 7mm Boo Boo Dave Tooley developed well over a decade and a half ago? I had one, and regretted selling it due to the lack of brass available at the time, great cartridge though! Screamer to say the least.

I'm just starting load work up for my edge and have RL33, 300 gr SMK's so any numbers you can post would be appreciated, I will work up to them. I'll be using RP brass from my 300 RUM. A few guys said they were around 3,000fps and .5 MOA but losing primer pockets after 2 firings on RP brass. I have a couple hundred so I don't want to switch.
Also have the 275 grain Lazer from Cutting Edge Bullets .773 BC 1:9.5 twist but they had no data for RL33. Their 300 grain is .820 but needs a 1:8.5 twist, I have a 9 twist so I will stick with the 275's. Seems the Berger 300EH are not around right now but due to be out soon.

I tried 7828, I4831 and RL 26 in my 264 WM. Found a decent load with low ES (9) and SD (15) with the 142 NABLR. Speed isn't the tops but accuracy is. I've only put 135 rounds down the tube so it's just now getting well broken in.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.