R-17 in 308 Winchester

Trnelson

Anyone have data for R-17 in 308 Winchester using the Berger 230g???? Preferably magnetospeed verified...

230 grain in a 308? Are you trying to use up some bullets? Saw some data that had RL-15 with a 200 grn bullet. Just saying, yes you can develop a 'workable load', but it's so much easier to stay more mainstream with a cartridge.

Then when you get done what do you do with a relatively slow speed 230 grn bullet out of a 308? Not to rain on any parade though. To me a 180 grn bullet is as high as I'd want to go in the 308, unless I had a narrow goal in mind with a heavier bullet. Lot's of JMHO.

I haven't tried anything that heavy but had good results with 175 smks and 178 amaxs with rl-17 and a 308. If you can't find any data try starting at 49 with either of those. Might help

I'm shooting 41.5 grains Re-17 with a 208 Amax in a 20" Remington LTR. That gives me 2400 fps. I got up to 43.5 with no pressure signs but the lighter load was so accurate I stayed with it. I thought I was crazy with 208's in my 308 but going even heavier is crazy. I can reach 975 yards with good consistency; haven't shot it further. The heavy bullets retain a ton of energy and that has made my 308 my go to hunting rifle (because it is light and can go long). Maybe the 230's will be even better, but my rifle is now a single shot.

Hmm. I'm seeing the 230g OTM still super-sonic out to 1400 yards with a 2,200 fps muzzle velocity. Yes the vertical drop will require significant dope, but shooting known distances that is readily accountable. I use that bullet at 2,840fps from my 30/338 win and 2450fps from my .30/06 (different powders, obviously)... I'll load up a ladder test and see what I find for velocity and accuracy. Thank for the opinions gents.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.