Quik load help with 300wm

NW Hunter

Would anyone be willing to run quik load on an accurate load I found? It has shot in the .2's on three different days at 100 yds. My fear is that I am over-pressure.

300WM Rem 700
Bartlein 5R 11.25 twist 24" barrel

RWS brass 2x fired
Berger 210 Hunt VLD
CBTO 2.942" .020" off lands
77.2 gr H1000
CCI BR2 large rifle primer

Magnetospeed V3
High Velocity 2944fps
Low Velocity 2923fps
Avg Velocity 2936fps

Temperature 73 degrees
baro 27.73
elevation 2371

Thanks, Randy

Check a couple and give me the COAL. OuickLoad does not work with CBTO. Just doing the math I came up with 3.671 but does not seem right to me as QuickLoad shows the velocity using those numbers to be around 2700fps and a pressure of 48,845psi.

Give me the info above and will post a screen capture.

Well....

I get 2737fps at 51k psi

You could have a very fast barrel. 200fps faster than predicted is fast but...

Anyway. I get 65k psi at your velocities max max but you would see marks on pretty much any case at that pressure.

If that's your accuracy node. You could be golden.

NW Hunter

QuickLoad is of marginal use when it comes to predicting pressure. More often than not I find it to be 10,000 psi low and other times it can be pretty close. You are better off checking for sticky bolt and flat primers.

According to Berger's handbook you should be a bit hot. They list 75.5 gr H1000 as max load giving 2,804 fps out of a 26" barrel. That would be more like 2,750 fps out of your 24 inch barrel. They are a bit conservative though so it is possible you are OK but I kind of doubt it at almost 2 grains over max. Having said all that, if you are not seeing pressure signs, I'd use it - at least until I lost some brass due to loose primer pockets.

Wow Fred, That's NUTS! I could be golden, but I may back down a bit and see what happens. I appreciate your thoughts. I was born and raised in San Jose. Where do you call home?

Engineering101,
I may have to back down a bit but like you say, I may keep using it watching for pressure signs.
Thanks much, Randy:D

Wow Fred, That's NUTS! I could be golden, but I may back down a bit and see what happens. I appreciate your thoughts. I was born and raised in San Jose. Where do you call home?
Paso Robles. I'm a native of Orange CA but keep having to move away every time the developers make the place too crowded.

One thing about my Pressure Trace II is that the brass and primers is consistent in appearance at the PTII measured pressures across multiple rifles. Nosler brass shows ejector marks at 56k psi. Primers do look different in different rifles. It is obvious to me that in the R700 the primer is not supported as well as it is in the Mark V.

QL could be high, low or dead on for pressure and velocity. It is a predictor not perfect but not useless.

I just checked my fired cases and my notes. Brass and primers looks real good. My notes said I had a sticky bolt at 81.1 grains. I may get a sticky bolt at 77.2 gr if temp goes up to 85 degrees or so. I will need to watch for it.

You guys are awesome. Thanks

jfseaman,
When Silicon Valley came into the Santa Clara valley, I slid up to Vancouver, WA. I love it here. Lots of state land for hunting, great fishing on the Columbia River. Lots of places to get away from the crowd.
I've read a lot of your posts and you are always helpful.

Thank you for that.

Remember QuickLoad is just a guide like the loading manual. My Berger manual has a max load of 75.5 H1000 @ 2804 at the COAL of 3.340.

With your COAL of 3.635 and .020 off the lands I ran the data in QuickLoad and the results are below. Now if the bullet is touching the lands you need to increase the pressure by 10,000psi. Anyway looks to me like you are in good shape.

Fred Seaman. I think we have talked about this but I grew up in Arroyo Grande, Ca. and came here to Idaho in 92. Have 3 kids living in Atascadero next door to you.

long.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.