Quik -load data for 6.5 x 284

wildcat westerner

Hello,
Can someone out there with access to Quikload do me a favor, I would appreciate it?

I am going to build another 6.5 x 284, this one strictly for prone usage for long range shooting for target, varmint and perhaps hunting. I shall be using the new short Savage action and a Pac-Nor barrel, the 3 groove variety. Chris Dichter informs me they can make these in up to 33 inches in length.

I was surprised at this, but realize Palma shooters routinely use 30 inch lengths.

Can anyone out there tell me with a 140 grain bullet what the velocity differences might be from 28 inches,in 2 inch increments, out to 33? I know 4831sc works well to 28" and can see an opportunity if the velocity difference would make it worthwhile to have a longer barrel than I am used to using for 1,000 yard usage.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me in this matter.

Gene So

Hello Portx,

Thanks so very much for your quick, accurate reply. So, in essence, I would stand to gain a little over 100 fps with the utilization of the full 33 inch barrel. That might not mean much to others but in essence that is the difference between a 6.5 x 284 and a lot of .264 Winchester magnums currently available.

I am used to short, stiff barrels in competition, but have had a 32 inch 6mm/284 before. I know this one will seem like a "piece of spaghetti" on the prone rifle, but now I am leaning toward that max length.

Could you do me one favor and do the same equation, but this time with Retumbo powder? I know Retumbo powder, with my wildcat .30 based on RWS 9.3 x 64 brass gave me ballistics which equaled factory claimed .300 Weatherby ballistics and with a smaller case.

I note you are from Iowa, and we are originally from Mankato, Minnesota, even though I am retired now to northern New Mexico, a little way south of NRA Whittington.

Thank YOU,

Gene Sol

Hi Gene,
Heres what I got with retumbo. 60 gr again 140 vld
28" 2992
30" 3042
32" 3088
33" 3109
Glad you made this post. In my 6.5x284 the 53 gr of h4831sc is what I use.
I think I'll go buy some retumbo and give it a try.lightbulb If you need anything else just let me know.:)

Hello Protx :

Could you also run a check using a 26 and 27 inch barrel and 58 grains of Retumbo and 140 VLD"s
Thanks for your time

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.