Quiet Muzzle Brakes

victor

Hi All,

Can anybody give me some info on who makes the most quite muzzle brake as well as most effective for recoil control.

I have looked at the following sites and don't know anything about them. Can anybody give me pro's and con's about any of these brakes:

http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/features.htm (Vais Brake)
http://www.gentrycustom.com/muzzlebrake.html (Gentry Brake)
http://www.sgyrifles.com/html/reassemblies_building.html (SGY 11 degree brake)
http://www.hollandguns.com/mbrakes.shtml (Holland Brake)

Thanks guys,
Vic

R.L. Matthews of Calhoun,Ga. makes a very effective brake it
is not as loud as most brakes I have been exposed to. But I honestly haven't heard all brakes for comparison.Just another variable for you to consider.

I've been building custom rifles with my dad since i was 10,I'm 33 now. Honestly most of the rifles we have built don't have brakes but they're all. small caliber heavy barrel rifles. in yhe past 10 yearswe've built a lot of ackley's from 22-250 to a 257-STW and they all have brakes and jave different styles of brake the 257-STW is a custom montana and came with a radial ported brake and it sets completely still when fired as well as my Ruger 77 custom 25-06 ackley but it has a varga tactical side port brake ans sets still when fired. My personal opinion is JP'S howitzer style and vais makes very good brakes but the most important part of any brake is installation,a good gunsmith can put a brake on and not effect accuracy. I've installed enough to know the straighter the brake /bore the better. All that's a little off subject but truth is all brakes create noise around the shoiter except one I've found its angle ported from the front/muzzle and the aound and percussion go away from you and its quieter than a rifle without a brake. but not as much recoil reduction so its up to you what you choose just be sure that a great gunsmith or someone that has done a lot of brake installations. Ya'll keep shooting and pushing the limits of shooting distance, last year I. pulled a 600 yard shot an a deer and didn't film it this year I've got a camera and am going for an 800+ shot with my 25-06 ackley,I'll let gun)ya'll know if it happens and where you can view it.

I've been building custom rifles with my dad since i was 10,I'm 33 now. Honestly most of the rifles we have built don't have brakes but they're all. small caliber heavy barrel rifles. in yhe past 10 yearswe've built a lot of ackley's from 22-250 to a 257-STW and they all have brakes and jave different styles of brake the 257-STW is a custom montana and came with a radial ported brake and it sets completely still when fired as well as my Ruger 77 custom 25-06 ackley but it has a varga tactical side port brake ans sets still when fired. My personal opinion is JP'S howitzer style and vais makes very good brakes but the most important part of any brake is installation,a good gunsmith can put a brake on and not effect accuracy. I've installed enough to know the straighter the brake /bore the better. All that's a little off subject but truth is all brakes create noise around the shoiter except one I've found its angle ported from the front/muzzle and the aound and percussion go away from you and its quieter than a rifle without a brake. but not as much recoil reduction so its up to you what you choose just be sure that a great gunsmith or someone that has done a lot of brake installations. Ya'll keep shooting and pushing the limits of shooting distance, last year I. pulled a 600 yard shot an a deer and didn't film it this year I've got a camera and am going for an 800+ shot with my 25-06 ackley,I'll let gun)ya'll know if it happens and where you can view it.

Ackley varm, what muzzle breaks are angled forward? I'm looking to build a 300wm and the recoil doesn't bother me but I'd like to possibly see my shots. I also plan on hunting wit this at some point and I don't want to wear ears while hunting.

Victor,

Muzzle brakes are a bit like politics...many different opinions about an item that differs very little in noise generation and recoil reduction.

Yes it is essential that the brake is installed as near perfect concentric with the bore as can be...that is a given.

There is much marketing hype involving muzzle brakes and a lot of money can be spent for them but the bottom line is they won't vary more than a few percentage points in loudness and recoil reduction.

I have installed many muzzle brakes over the years and have come to the conclusion that unless one wants a particular cosmetic then the brakes Harrells Precision makes are hard to beat for the price. $45 dollars for a nice tactical brake is hard to beat.

I am not affiliated with Harrells in any way, just a satisfied customer who like to save money.

Have you considered a suppressor? My gunsmith manufactures suppressors for under $400. I think its $325. He has a video on his website demonstrating on his 7MM a 30-06 and a 22. If interested, PM me for his website vid link.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.