quickload

canjaeger

enybody use quickload ? and what do you think?
smile.gif

jaeger

Hi Canjaeger,
I use it and find it accurate. I used it to help me design a new improved match hornet to shoot 40gn Hornady V-maxs out of a Ruger 77/22Hornet Varmint, Quickload predicted 3300fps with Win 296. To which I thought rubbish you can't get that out of a hornet but when chronographed with my Oehler 35P the load was within 3fps of that predicted I was very impressed.

I was developing some load data for a suppressed 44magnum with Vihtavouri shotgun powder and the velocities were 100-300fps slower than predicted it was barrel friction slowing them down (like 22lr ammo in long barrels begins to slow down after about 15"). I then adjusted the 'long barrel friction' and now Quickload has predicted velocitys consistently within 20fps (most of the time within 3-12fps) with velocities rangeing from 600-1200fps.
I find it a incredibly helpful program especially when you are developing wildcat ammunition load data.

[ 02-19-2004: Message edited by: subsonic ]

I have it and its great!!!!! Its a little complicated for a novice as it has many features. I worked up loads for the 408 and the crono was dead on! Saves powder and bullets.

The coolest thing is that you can throw 'what ifs' at it. Also, You can calibrate it.

It is however, behind on powders listed/usable. Neco says that the powder mfgs are very slow/reluctant to test or offer data. That sux

Great now that i know everybody who has it i will be pumping you for load checks
grin.gif

no just kiding
smile.gif
no its just i use a similar program for engine work and as you all said it has saved me alot of time and effort i just wanted to get some feed back on its value and acuracy. i have down loaded a demo version of it and will play with it and decide

thanks guy's jaeger

There's some basic tricks to using it.
A. Try to build a load where Pmax and Z1 are on top of each other (in the graph), this gives the best groupings
B. Try to build a load with a minimum exit pressure, this will have the least bullet upset.
C. Keep the powder loaded in the brass just under or just over 100% (I use anywhere between 96%-105%), never right on 100%. If it's a 100%, some shells will be compressed and some not, they will have different burn characteristics.
D. After you've modeled a load, shot it and worked with it to get your groups tight, adjust the case volume setting in Quickload to get a matching muzzle velocity.
E. Once you've got a completed load, note the barrel time. This is your barrel harmonic time. Use this to create other loads for that barrel, match your barrel time and you should have a load that groups tightly.

Remember this is a modelling tool, and you must use it in conjunction with results from actual shooting really make it sing.

AB

AlbertaBound,
Is it really that simple in real life though.
grin.gif

Good tips, and stuff I think about too.

jaeger,
What program do you use for motor building? Dyno 2000 Engine Simulation? I have that one, and I like it a lot.

AJ,

20% tan, 20 % Black, 60% OD green.

Molded.....
cool huh...

I found a better combo.. for my 338 Lapua

20% white, 20% black, 60% tan.... you should see that SWEET!!!

Brent,
I don't have extensive time with it, but the boy's over in AccurateReloading use it extensively. It certainly worked when I was fighting with an Abolt II 300WinMag with BOSS to build a load. I had put over 300 rounds through this rifle trying the ladder method, a modified ladder method, etc. and couldn't get my preferred bullet to group any tighter than 1.5". So in desperation I bought it, learned how to use it, and modeled a single load, next thing I know it's shooting 0.5" groups.

I also use it to do what-if's comparisons when I'm thinking of purchasing a different caliber.

AB

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.