Quickload with Wildcats or Proprietary Cartridges

Download Gordons Reloading tool (GRT) Its free and you can design your cartridge if it isnt in the database. You can also send it to GRTLabs where it can be added to the database and help others. Ive done this myself and its enjoyable. GRT is updated usually monthly and has a windows and Linux version. No Apple version as Gordon doesnt like Apple. I seldom use QL anymore.
I just checked GRT version 1982 and the 30-284 Win is in the database.

Last edited:
Download Gordons Reloading tool (GRT) Its free and you can design your cartridge if it isnt in the database. You can also send it to GRTLabs where it can be added to the database and help others. Ive done this myself and its enjoyable. GRT is updated usually monthly and has a windows and Linux version. No Apple version as Gordon doesnt like Apple. I seldom use QL anymore.

Wow, thank you so much!

I've searched for cheaper/free options before and didn't find that one. I'll download it this evening

I could never get QL to match the data from my Pressure Trace, the amount of tweaking it took to even come close was unbelievable.
The velocity and pressure, no matter how accurate the data keyed in was, was never the same as what the Pressure Trace said it was.
I have been told that is because I didn't calibrate the Pressure Trace….to what exactly am I going to calibrate too?
It gives raw data, not fudge factor like factory ammo being compared to reference ammo using form factors to calibrate.
Anyway, if you feel that what QL spits out is actual pressure, I seriously doubt it's accuracy.
I gave my QL program away.

Cheers.

Its more involved. You also need to input measured case length, bullet dimensions, etc. Another factor often overlooked is the powder model. It may be out of date. GRT uses a 3 point powder model and QL a 2 point model and they aren't interchangeable. Also, these programs are predictions, nothing more. One of the reasons I stopped using QL is the predictions for my wildcats were getting farther and farther from actual. One thing I like about GRT is you can up;oad your actual data with your chrono data to GRTLab and they keep their data up to date. Measure everything because I've found that the bullets in the databases are never right. Using the GRT OBT tool you can customize the powder model to YOUR rifle and make it even more accurate. Sorry, got away from the original thread subject.
Yeah when I say I gave every parameter he asked for I wasn't joking. That's why I was so dumbfounded.

Awesome will check it out thanks

I could never get QL to match the data from my Pressure Trace, the amount of tweaking it took to even come close was unbelievable.
The velocity and pressure, no matter how accurate the data keyed in was, was never the same as what the Pressure Trace said it was.
I have been told that is because I didn't calibrate the Pressure Trace….to what exactly am I going to calibrate too?
It gives raw data, not fudge factor like factory ammo being compared to reference ammo using form factors to calibrate.
Anyway, if you feel that what QL spits out is actual pressure, I seriously doubt it's accuracy.
I gave my QL program away.

Cheers.
I question the accuracy of that instrument. I watched a video on it the other day and it was providing data 20k psi below load book data, even when compared across multiple books. At best it was just a way to compare variances in different loads.

I question the accuracy of that instrument. I watched a video on it the other day and it was providing data 20k psi below load book data, even when compared across multiple books. At best it was just a way to compare variances in different loads.
Well, that is common because most hunting rifle barrels are totally different to a pressure testing SAAMI barrel.
Ever wondered why the book velocities are way faster than your own results?
I find the Pressure Trace to be very accurate for what I do with it. I take raw numbers from it, correlate that info with the velocity given and use those parameters to build loads.
A pressure barrel is way tighter in tolerance to any hunting rifle, hence the discrepancy.
Also, the books data is based on Maximum Average Pressure and the parameters are fairly tight, so even if 3 results are above the average, that load is not used and the previous lower load becomes max.
Internal ballistics is not precise and probably never will be until powders go from progressive burning to digressive burning, which there are only a few being used in military applications. I worked at ADI, the makers on Hodgdon powders and military arms ammo. There's more to pressure testing than what the books say.

Cheers.

Well, that is common because most hunting rifle barrels are totally different to a pressure testing SAAMI barrel.
Ever wondered why the book velocities are way faster than your own results?
I find the Pressure Trace to be very accurate for what I do with it. I take raw numbers from it, correlate that info with the velocity given and use those parameters to build loads.
A pressure barrel is way tighter in tolerance to any hunting rifle, hence the discrepancy.
Also, the books data is based on Maximum Average Pressure and the parameters are fairly tight, so even if 3 results are above the average, that load is not used and the previous lower load becomes max.
Internal ballistics is not precise and probably never will be until powders go from progressive burning to digressive burning, which there are only a few being used in military applications. I worked at ADI, the makers on Hodgdon powders and military arms ammo. There's more to pressure testing than what the books say.

Cheers.
Even though they are test barrels, are they not SAAMI chambers?

Even though they are test barrels, are they not SAAMI chambers?
Minimum SAAMI chambers in every way.
They are not the same as an off the shelf SAAMI reamer. The brass is also fireformed to each chamber prior to testing.
Throat length, diameter and ramp angles are also at minimum and controlled.
They are practically a minimum match chamber.
The rifling depth, width and number of grooves is also controlled. These specs are listed on ALL SAAMI cartridge and chamber prints.

Cheers.

I tried out the GRT last night and it's pretty awesome. I measured 3 fired case capacities and input all other chamber and cartridge dimensions that I knew and it actually gave me a velocity very close to what I measured for my hunting load.

I was getting about 2685 for a 200gr sgk and it predicted 2673. Not bad!

I have some hybrid 100 I was going to try out but after putting that in and seeing the results I might have to trade it for some R Hunter or Staball

I basically use the 30-06 AI case data and adjust the volume base on the actual measured volume. Is that how people do it or do you design a new case in it somehow?
That's right, this gets you in the ball park. No need for a specific cartridge, just any H20 capacity.
Also mind shank seating depth and mind 'cross-sectional bore area'. Some of the test barrels in QL are bogus.
Then you must validate across a chrono & tweak other parameters to calibrate the file.
Powder is often in need of tweaking, as it changes from lot to lot. Every barrel from a different maker can produce different results.
Brass changes by lot, and new brass is always different from fire formed brass. Always remember that.