Quickload with Wildcats or Proprietary Cartridges

nksmfamjp

I use Quickload to get me in the ballpark and it has proven quite predictive in my 300 Sherman.

I basically use the 30-06 AI case data and adjust the volume base on the actual measured volume. Is that how people do it or do you design a new case in it somehow?

I use Quickload to get me in the ballpark and it has proven quite predictive in my 300 Sherman.

I basically use the 30-06 AI case data and adjust the volume base on the actual measured volume. Is that how people do it or do you design a new case in it somehow?
I do not have Quickload at this time, but I also use .30-06 AI loads as a baseline for my .30 Gibbs. I also ask tech support from the bullet manufacturer that I am going to load.

I have Quickload and bought the companion software Quickdesign to design a wildcat based off the 300 Norma case.

I never got around to building the cartridge so I can't say how accurate it is.

The 30-06ai should be in the database. All my ai rounds are. 250, 257, 280, 243, 7x57. Do you have the current version?
That's interesting. I did not get good data for my 257AI when they guy ran it for me. Curious what your info looks like compared to mine.

I shoot a lot of wildcats. I'd say QL gets you in the ballpark. It's max charges for wildcat calibers tend to be on the hot side so be careful. I'd rely on your builder for load data. Those who tinker with wildcats have played enough with them to get you started safely.

while case capacity is important and it is, nothing beats experience to know how to set weighting factors and shot start pressures.
weighting factors changes with case design and shoulder angles and shot start pressures are different depending on bullet make/ design.
for quickload to work properly it takes time and the most accurate info possible.

While I don't use quick load, I use GRT and it allows you to insert the case dimensions so you can build your case within the program. From there you just insert all the other required parameters: powder temperature case capacity bullet type, bullet specs, etc. etc.

While I don't use quick load, I use GRT and it allows you to insert the case dimensions so you can build your case within the program. From there you just insert all the other required parameters: powder temperature case capacity bullet type, bullet specs, etc. etc.
Quickload is similar but you plug in H2O capacity of the case. Also you can play with weighting factor, start pressures and burn rates of powder as well. You can actually get it to track very accurately to actual velocities and presumably pressures if you know what parameters to plug in and adjust. This is a ladder of my 6.5 Grendel with 97 grain absolute hammers.

Attachments

• 9F0ED42F-77D7-4EF4-986B-0A40CDBD1CA8.jpeg
    9F0ED42F-77D7-4EF4-986B-0A40CDBD1CA8.jpeg
    237.1 KB · Views: 47
That's why I was surprised at the discrepancy because I measured water weight even.
Its more involved. You also need to input measured case length, bullet dimensions, etc. Another factor often overlooked is the powder model. It may be out of date. GRT uses a 3 point powder model and QL a 2 point model and they aren't interchangeable. Also, these programs are predictions, nothing more. One of the reasons I stopped using QL is the predictions for my wildcats were getting farther and farther from actual. One thing I like about GRT is you can up;oad your actual data with your chrono data to GRTLab and they keep their data up to date. Measure everything because I've found that the bullets in the databases are never right. Using the GRT OBT tool you can customize the powder model to YOUR rifle and make it even more accurate. Sorry, got away from the original thread subject.

I have really been wanting quickload to help me with experimenting with my 30-284. But $150 I whatever it is is pretty steep for just a single cartridge use.

Anyone happen to want to run some loads for me? 😁