Quick way to find if gun will shoot well

bkondeff

My son's good friend has just recently got a bug for big game hunting. He inherited an old Ruger77 in 25-06. Gun looks rough and has a crappy trigger. I scrubbed the barrel down.

I have a 25-06, so was going to use my components starting with 110 accubonds to find if it will shoot.

I know he wants to use HIS gun and he can't afford a new one this year, needs to buy more important things like optics. If his gun won't shoot I would rather he quickly move on to one of mine I will lend him.

What is the fastes(fewest rounds) you have found to find if the gun is a decent shooter or not. Just load 10 rounds of 2.0 gr below max and shoot from a clean barrel and keep barrel cool! Not looking for long range, 300-350 yards, so 1.0-1.5moa is fine. 2.0moa won't do.

Work loads up from 3 grains under max in 1 grain intervals until you get pressure signs (1 of each). Then back down .5 grain and if not shooting the groups that you want then adjust seating depth in .010 increments moving closer to the lands or .010 farther from the lands (3 of each). Should get decent load in 20 shots or less (probably less).
Good Luck!

Because a safe load at max powder charge in his gun might not be a safe load in that rifle.

And you know that the load for his 25-06 is max how? he's given no details. He asked whats the shortest rout to find out if his friends rifle will shoot or not. What I said is exactly the shortest route, this also assumes that as he's stated he reloads so will take all necessary precautions. :rolleyes:

Pretty tough question, BUT:
My experience with the .25-06 involves 3 different rifles and they all liked something different. Things they had in common were that even tho I wanted 'em to, none would shoot Accubonds very well and they all liked the 75 grain V Max.
For me anyway I find it interesting that each rifle seemed to like a specific powder, regardless of the bullet. RL 19, IMR 4831 and IMR 4350...3 different powders for 3 different rifles.

If I was going to guess on one load to go with, it would be the pet load from my 25-06. 51 grains of 4831 with Fed 210. One grain below max(nosler book).

I have yet to find a gun that can't shoot one grain below max, but then again, I don't want to find it the wrong way. I will start 3 grains below, 1 shot each and find that pressure sign and then load a few 1 grain below that and see how she flies.

This gun has a crappy trigger and crappy bedding, but you never know do you.

If the bedding doesn't seem to be the problem, or the scope, I will try H4831.

As others have stated the easiest way to find if a rifle shoots decently or not is to run an existing load through it. They are correct that you shouldn't use a max load for this; something mild or a decent factory may be in order.
The rugers have triggers that can be worked with, the 77 mark1's can be adjusted, the mark2's can be lightened by a slight crush on the trigger spring as long as there is still enough tension to keep everything in place. A better option may be an aftermarket spring for a few bucks.
I haven't seen a ruger yet that won't put 5 in 1.5" at 100, but I have seen a few that will only do 2" for 10 shots.

check the barrel twist

slow twists will do better with lighter bullets in the 85-95 grain family

faster twists will do better with heavier bullets 100- 115 grain family

Wow ! What a great opportunity to start this young man off right. Maybe have your son and his friend over and bed the action , help him build the test rounds with your equipment ,work the trigger or find friends a family to chip in for a drop in. A little bit of cold blueing and touch up the stock. Even if it doesn't shoot the lights out you have set him on the right road. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day , teach him to fish and feed him for life. Oh , recrown the muzzle.

You asked and I am going to give you my answer. I would buy him a box of factory suitable to twist rate and hunting purpose. Unless I know someone really well and their family very, very well I don't want anyone shooting my guns and much less my reloads. And it is very, very seldom I shoot anyone's gun or much less reloads unless I know them and their practices very, very well. Everyone is so sue happy now days it gets scary. I know a lot of older shooters who have told me too many stories about things going wrong, these stories have not involved lawsuits but they have involved guns failing and subsequent injuries. I know one man who walked away from a gun failure who won't even touch a gun anymore.

So..don't get too involved in recriuting and training the next generation of shooters and hunters because you could , might , possibly get sued if it all went terribly wrong ? I call that cowardice and have no respect for you ,Zep , at all.

Coward? - you are the first person in my life who ever called me a coward but since it is not face to face I am going to disregard it. Add I did not in any way discourage this poster from helping a new shooter, I just answered the question the way I thought it should be approached.

I would also like to add to my above post that if you have any questions what-so-ever regarding the safety of this rifle I would insist it be checked out by a proven/competent gunsmith, I have personally gone this route myself. It is always a very important point to have a trusted gunsmith check out any firearm in question.

My contribution to this thread is over.

So..don't get too involved in recriuting and training the next generation of shooters and hunters because you could , might , possibly get sued if it all went terribly wrong ? I call that cowardice and have no respect for you ,Zep , at all.

Pretty sure he saying just go factory ammo and to not reload for a gun he has no idea the history of thereby not taking on any responsibility/liability by reloading for it. I didnt read anywhere in that statement where he said or implied anything close to what you are saying.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts