quick question regarding load development

6.5x300 WBY

Its a question I really don't want to hear the answer too. Well I recently bought a sendero 7mm rem mag that I have some plans for. I am planning on getting the muscle break a new Game scout stock bedded and everything. Also adding a new trigger jewel or timney for good measures.

well hear is my issue. I have read here that I should not both making custom loads for the rifle untill I have all the work done as the loads can change after completion. But to buy all these things to be able to finish my rifle is going to take a bit more than a few months.Then send it somewhere to get everything put together which will take even more time. So should I just forget loading for the rifle till I am done or start now.

I mean scope NF NSX 5.5x22x56. Not cheap $$$

Stock close to 600.00$$$

Jewell trigger

muscle break.

then someone to put it all together properly.

so forget it for now till its finished or put cheap scope on it and play till I get what I want.

thanks.

Brian

I would work up a load and play with the rifle until I gathered all the parts. Then get it put together and start over.

I agree with others, but you can at least shoot the rifle and see if you even want to consider the extra parts an expense of a smith. It may shoot so well that a brake is all that is needed. Or it may need all of the work plus a barrel.

The only thing that may require tweaking your load is the addition of the muzzle brake. The point of impact may change a little with the different stock, but the trigger is plug and play. The new scope will only require a two or three shot zero and a few confirmation shots. Is there a reason you want to get rid of the factory HS stock?

I would make sure the barrel is floating in the current stock, if it is not either shim it so it is or bed the stock. I would just shim if you are planning on changing the stock, personally I really like the HS Precision stocks a lot and would try it out. If you plan on changing though don't bed it because you should be able to sell it to get some money back and it will be worth a lot less bedded to your rifle. I am sure the barrel is already floated.

Your accuracy will not change, POI should not change if you are using a bubble and proper eye alignment, regardless of the stock.

A good trigger will tighten up groups most likely on any load.

Break could possibly change your POI but shouldn't effect your load.

Barrel should be good and capable of sub MOA easy. Those rifles are typically one of the most accurate factory rifles made and should be Sub-MOA without any mods with a decent load.

A scope wont change your accuracy at all just the POI, just zero the new scope in and you will be good to go.

I would work up a load and get it shooting good before doing any mods. The first mod I would do is upgrade the factory trigger depending on how old the rifle is it could make a huge difference. Shilen triggers are on sell at Mid West Gun Works for $69 + shipping. If your rifle has the newer Remington trigger you will have to buy a safety kit also or even a factory Remington safety off of ebay for a few bucks. If it has the original style Remington trigger you can use your safety.

The stock is the last thing I would change because it will make the least difference in the way the rifle shoots IMO. The HS stock that is on the rifle has a full bedding block out of aluminum. The game scout has nothing but you can pay extra for pillars, IMO the HS is a better stock and you will only drop about 8oz of weight, but you will gain some back with the bedding you will add. The game scout is cool looking though???

You also don't need a super nice NF scope to get a good load worked up.

Thank you guys for your info. I guess FULL DISCLOSURE is needed here. I dont have the rifle yet but I should have it in a couple weeks.

The stock. I am not sold on anything yet. I haven't even held the rifle yet. I just might like it. I just love the look of all your guys stocks on these beautiful custom rifles. BEAUTIFUL!! So this one can weight.

muzzle break I think I will get this from someone who can do it in short order. Thinking center shot rifles to send it to. What do you think of them? Open to other people for doing work on it if really good.

scope.. now this is just from reading on here. Seems like everyone is shooting NF NSX so I was going to follow suit. Would love if there were very good quality scopes with true REPEATABLE adjustable turrets.

thanks

Brian

Maxx.

how hard is it to change a trigger if I went to timney or jewell. I am NOT the most technical ki d of guy but I can follow simple instructions. This if possible I wouldn't mind trying to do myself.

If its just nock out a couple pins take trigger out and put new trigger in and put back pins I am all for that or is there more too it?

Brian

Trigger changes are easy, I swapped triggers in two of my rifles a couple nights ago and the whole job took about 20 minutes. You just have to be careful not to drop any pieces.

I agree you will not need to start over on load development. If anything, some of those upgrades will improve your load accuracy due to better ergonomics and shooting techniques. Lighter trigger is easier to stay on target, stock replacement may or may not tighten up a group. Brake will reduce felt recoil, making the gun inherently more accurate as you will be able to shoot it more comfortably with less recoil shyness.

As for scopes, there are plenty of really great ones in the $1500-2500 range you are looking in. Depends on what you plan to do with it. Personally, I like a FFP scope in mil/mil myself, and I just switched from the SFP MOA crowd. FFP lets your ballistics remain the same if you power up or down your scope magnification. Great for hunting. Mil also seems easier to me, as there are no 1/4s to deal with. Just 10ths. And a ballistic program that gives you a 10.65 MOA makes you think which way to go instead of a 3.1MIL. My new preference.

In that price range, you can look into the Steiner T5Xi, the Vortex Razor Gen II, SWFA SS, Sightron, Bushnell Tactical line, etc. Nothing against Nightforce, they are great glass. Just more options to consider.

You have a great game plan going, I look forward to seeing it soon.

I agree you will not need to start over on load development. If anything, some of those upgrades will improve your load accuracy due to better ergonomics and shooting techniques. Lighter trigger is easier to stay on target, stock replacement may or may not tighten up a group. Brake will reduce felt recoil, making the gun inherently more accurate as you will be able to shoot it more comfortably with less recoil shyness.

As for scopes, there are plenty of really great ones in the $1500-2500 range you are looking in. Depends on what you plan to do with it. Personally, I like a FFP scope in mil/mil myself, and I just switched from the SFP MOA crowd. FFP lets your ballistics remain the same if you power up or down your scope magnification. Great for hunting. Mil also seems easier to me, as there are no 1/4s to deal with. Just 10ths. And a ballistic program that gives you a 10.65 MOA makes you think which way to go instead of a 3.1MIL. My new preference.

In that price range, you can look into the Steiner T5Xi, the Vortex Razor Gen II, SWFA SS, Sightron, Bushnell Tactical line, etc. Nothing against Nightforce, they are great glass. Just more options to consider.

You have a great game plan going, I look forward to seeing it soon.

Lance, Thanks for the reply. I was doing a bunch more research on scopes and I seem to be going the SWFA SS 5x20x50 now. I think I will also just bed the recoil lug on my rifle stock of the Sendero and get the muzzle break put on. This should be good for me for awhile. Should make my 7mm rem mag a shooter along with the burger 168 vld's and Scirocco 150's.

Cant wait to get this all together

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.