Quick question - on dies

Do you use this unmodified or do you fit it to your rifle/brass somehow? What is low runout to you?
This die is used as is. These dies regularly have their spindles modified or replaced by different diameter spindles so the I.D. of the neck is controlled. Low runout to me is <.003, but consistency is also very important, I strive for zero runout always.
The best 25 bucks I ever spent on dies.

Last edited:
Have reloaded for >50 yrs. Looking at trying some longer distance shooting. Have always used RCBS, but am intrigued and interested dies with changeable neck sizing bushings. Question is, are there any 'favored brands' out there. Sinclair, Hornady, Redding, RCBS, etc. This is for a 6.5 CM and perhaps a .243 Win. Thanks in advance. TC
I have been Die Hard RCBS fan for only 47 years ( makes me much younger than you 🤣) but if you'll take a younger man's opinion here....I'd only change to Redding....if I had too...for some strange reason....like if y'all south of me start Hoarding dies!

Have reloaded for >50 yrs. Looking at trying some longer distance shooting. Have always used RCBS, but am intrigued and interested dies with changeable neck sizing bushings. Question is, are there any 'favored brands' out there. Sinclair, Hornady, Redding, RCBS, etc. This is for a 6.5 CM and perhaps a .243 Win. Thanks in advance. TC
You might take a look at Whidden Gun Works dies. He makes custom and standard dies.

My take on this from personal experience is that bushing dies can induce donuts...I don't like donuts.
I either gave away or sold my bushing dies years ago.
I use Forster FL dies with honed necks and modified expanders that I either order or turn up myself.
I no longer measure runout is a regular basis, but when I do, it is usually .0015" at most using these dies in TURNED brass.
This is for my comp rifles in F-class. My hunting rifles, even my custom Rem 700's and Win Model 70's/Kimber's have good runout with Forster dies, but I don't neck turn for those.

Cheers.

Whidden dies and don't look back.

I never had good luck with bushing dies, for low runout reloading my choice is Lee Collet neck sizer, Redding body die and a Forster or Redding benchrest seater, for the occasional FL sizing I use the Forster FL dies, although I also started 40 years ago with RCBS regular dies I have slowly replaced my dies for my longer range rifles to the above combination.
Thats my take on this exactly, want very low runout and ease of loading this is the method to use. Remove spindles and use the FL sizer dies with the collet die providing neck tension and concentricity.

Next is to decide on which run-out measuring tool to buy. Although I'm tempted to just use a precision V block and a Test Stand with my Test Indicator.
You might look at the 21st Century tool. It is easy to measure with precision.

While probably not quite as easy to use for reloading, the advantage of the Test Stand & V block is that I can use them for non reloading projects. A lot more than just reloading & amature 'smithing happens in my shop. Decisions, decisions.....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.