Quick question - on dies

TC-TX

Have reloaded for >50 yrs. Looking at trying some longer distance shooting. Have always used RCBS, but am intrigued and interested dies with changeable neck sizing bushings. Question is, are there any 'favored brands' out there. Sinclair, Hornady, Redding, RCBS, etc. This is for a 6.5 CM and perhaps a .243 Win. Thanks in advance. TC

Doesn't RCBS make a high end bushing die set too? ....the RCBS Matchmaster

In your shoes I might be more interested in getting a set of Forster FL dies and trying them out. They have changeable expanders to adjust neck tension. They will hone the neck for a nominal fee, if you find it is over sizing. It is amazingly consistent for runout with neck turned brass.

The bushing type almost need neck turned brass.

Last edited:
Have reloaded for >50 yrs. Looking at trying some longer distance shooting. Have always used RCBS, but am intrigued and interested dies with changeable neck sizing bushings. Question is, are there any 'favored brands' out there. Sinclair, Hornady, Redding, RCBS, etc. This is for a 6.5 CM and perhaps a .243 Win. Thanks in advance. TC
Redding

The bushing type almost need neck turned brass.
If you have inconsistent unturned necks without a mandrel or expander then you dont wanna use just a bushing alone.
I've used bushing dies with expanders and mandrels alot and just like any die if you dont size your necks down to much before the mandrel or expander is pulled through you can can get really good runout.

If you have inconsistent unturned necks without a mandrel or expander then you dont wanna use just a bushing alone.
I've used bushing dies with expanders and mandrels alot and just like any die if you dont size your necks down to much before the mandrel or expander is pulled through you can can get really good runout.
If you don't neck turn, are you measuring neck runout on the id? If not, what is the runout telling you since the bullet touches the ID?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts