Quick!! Need to buy a spotting tripod today. Any ideas?

katakenm

I need help, recommendations on a tripod that will hold the weight of a 95mm BTX Swarovski.

Has to be aluminum, good ball head, pistol type...maybe, fluid ball head, no carbon fiber, no twist locks, lever locks.

Thanks.

Gitzo 2 way fluid head with the handle that steers it and the Sirui tripod ET2004. Aluminum three section with pinch clamps for tightening the legs. I have enough junk carbon fiber tripods that I didn't want the same twist tighten. It is going to hold my new scope. I did not get the Swarovski BTX. I got the Optolyth 100mm angled with the 20-70 eyepiece and the 35x MOA ranging reticle.

I need help, recommendations on a tripod that will hold the weight of a 95mm BTX Swarovski.

Has to be aluminum, good ball head, pistol type...maybe, fluid ball head, no carbon fiber, no twist locks, lever locks.

Thanks.

That's funny... I was about to ask a similar question. Would you share with us why you don't want a carbon fiber tripod? I have a Nightforce TS-80 which weighs 68oz or 4.25 pounds and was thinking of the Nightforce carbon fiber tripod but your message gave me pause.

As an update back on the tripod and ballhead I purchased from CameraLandNY.com, I have put the Sirui ET 2004 through its paces with the Gitzo Fluid Head and have been 100% satisfied! I have used the setup to do anything from set my Lab Radar, 100mm Optolyth spotter with camera adapter for pictures as far reaching as Jupiter and its 4 moons, and even used the Arca rail to shoot my RPR 338LM that has an Arca handguard.

I have been truely happy with the strength because the RPR rifle with optic (Valdada Recon G2) is on the heavy side weighing about 20 pounds. Very minimal flex in the legs, clamps are effective and adjustable, and weight of the aluminum vs. carbon fiber is minimal.

Thank you again Joel and Doug at CameraLand NY.com

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.