Quick change bushings

6pakzak

Lee and Hornady both have a quick change setup for your dies, I'm wondering if there is a difference anyone has noticed using either one of these in terms of bullet quality, is it better to screw die directly into press or do the quick change bushings work just as well.

I used the Hornady bushings and saw no drop off in ammo quality. That was quite remarkable given their poor quality. One bushing would be sloppy loose and another fit so tightly that I had to unscrew the press bushing and use a two pairs of pliers to remove it. I eventually bent the press bushing out of round and then nothing worked.

I used to use them in a Lee press, now I just screw the dies in and out in my RCBS. They're a solution looking for a problem IMO, I thought it would be a pain to change dies but doesn't take any longer to screw them in and out.

If you set the lock ring you get repeatability. I also size or load complete batches at one time, not 20 here and 30 there. I get through all the ones I'm working on at that time in one shot so they're all sized in the same setup each time.

I've been happy enough with my Hornady bushings. Quick change is a nice feature but I guess it really depends how often you're swapping out. I do wish they had milled some wrench flats on them because there really isn't all that much to grip if you've got a sticky one. I have also had one that's a little too loose and would back itself -- Hornady did send me some shims to put the o-ring in a bit more compression and now it's fine.

I'm just thinking that screwing a die into a sleeve and screwing sleeve in just creates more variables, bushings are also aluminium so wouldn't that move over time especially sizing, I have used the lee ones but notice they get easier and easier to put in, isn't something changing, idk, but I asked the question, guys say they work just fine put would your ammo be better if you didn't use them, that's what I'd like to know.

I have the quick change in my Rock chucker for 3 different calibers, universal deprimer, bullet puller, ram prime. one time set up and seconds to change, I love mine, I don't see how you would not want one in a single stage. Never had any issues in 6+ years, and 5k+ rounds loaded deprimed etc.

Lee and Hornady both have a quick change setup for your dies, I'm wondering if there is a difference anyone has noticed using either one of these in terms of bullet quality, is it better to screw die directly into press or do the quick change bushings work just as well.
I read somewhere I believe on this forum that overtime and repeated use the bushings actually strip out

I read somewhere I believe on this forum that overtime and repeated use the bushings actually strip out
I have a lot of rounds through my rock chucker with the bushings and no issues, don't know what others experience's are, I'm a fan and will continue to use them