quick advice berger hunting vs target?

dk260,

Thanks for the history link. It fills in a few blanks. I will still use the THICK hybrid bullets for hunting and have no worries as to their performance thanks to Broz extensive reporting.

Yeah, same here probably... I have two boxes of the Hunting VLD's, but this spring I could not find them so I stocked up on the target VLD's. I have a s$^t ton of them loaded up and figure I'll try them out on some flesh this year.

One last thought... It trips me out how Barnes markets their bullets as being the latest greatest for hunting. In the southern part of this dictatorship I live in lead ammo is illegal to hunt with. Two years ago a buddy and I bagged a black bear. He shot it with a .35 cal barnes and the bear began climbing down the tree is was in. We thought he clean missed so I shot it with a .30 cal barnes and it dropped. Turns out his bullet entered left lung, heart, and right lung. My bullet hit the spine. The exit wound from my buddy's bullet was only about the size of two fingers, so roughly three times the size of the entry wound. My bullet expanded to the size of his bullet (.35 ish caliber). I recovered my bullet and it's still sitting on my mantle in the case it was fired from. That season I talked to other hunters who shot bucks, made what they felt were decent hits, saw minimal blood and never found the animals. I think with the solid bullets unless you hit bone, its a gamble.

The reason for the above rant was to point out my thought on target bullets for hunting. If a target bullet is deemed sub par for hunting by one bullet maker because of maximum weight retention and minimal fragmentation or expansion, how could another company claim superiority for hunting by the same set of conditions? I guess it comes down to real world experience VS marketing hype.

dk260,

I hear you on the barnes bullets. I used to use Barnes bullets. I had many bullets anchor but not kill quickly. Only had one spectacular kill on a cow elk at 350 yd in a howling crosswind. Punched both scapulas and she folded to die within a minute. I had to put the crosshairs far off the POI to get that cow and began to reevaluate my choice in bullets.

When I became aware that higher BCs reduced bullet drift I dropped them and moved to accubonds. Then along came Berger hunting VLDs! Now that there are hybrids I dropped the VLDs because they are seating depth friendly.

I still use accubonds in two hunting rifles a 338 RCM with 225s and a very rough 257 weatherby that began to chew up the 115 VLDs, the rest of the big game rifles are using Bergers.

Funny how we evolve over time. Been hunting for over 30 yrs and THINK I have the bullet thing figured out....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.