Quetion about 7mm's and 1000 yd competions

MAELTY

Quetion about 7mm\'s and 1000 yd competions

I'm seriously..., no I am going to build a gun for the light rifle class at Williamsport. From the board I seem to get the idea that the 6.5-284 is what most prefer.

My bent is towards the 7mm.

What percentage of shooters use this caliber?

What seems to be the favorite chambering?

And besides the 162 AMAX what other bullet is good.

The reason I ask is that I've been shooting a 7mm WSM since they came out. The pet load for it is 74 gr H1000 and 162 AMAX. I've gotten good results (.5 @100 most of the time and some better at times). I've never shot at 1000 yds though and since this is my only experience with this caliber your thoughts on my questions would be priceless.

A good wife? a benefit, A good dog? rewarding, Shooting long and straight? PRICELESS
wink.gif

Re: Quetion about 7mm\'s and 1000 yd competions

Not many using the 7mm at Williamsport last year but I was one that did. I used a 7-300wby that wieghed 16lbs with a barrel that was 1 1/2" at muzzle and the gun was built around 20 years ago but not shot much until know. I was shooting 168 mk's using 75 1/2grns of H-1000 and this gun would shoot an 8" group @ 1000yds, heck I even won a relay with it. I am happy with this rifle considering the age and what it is. I am going to try some 180 bergers and the 175 mk's when avalible and see what happens. I think that you will see a few more 7mm's up at Williamsport this year.

Also consider the Cauterucio 176 grain bullet.

Hunter

Do a LRH search, consider this to be a training assignment, on Cauterucio and you'll find Bob's phone number. Real nice guy to work with.

Backus, I have waited a day to reply to your response to my request for a source of information in the hope that I would calm down with a good nights sleep. IT DIDN'T WORK ! Who the hell do you think you are to attempt to give me a training assignment of any kind !! If I ask you something and you don't know just say so and if you do know and think you are too high and mighty to take the time to answer correctly and politely then you can KMA.

Hunter66654

I believe what Len was saying is, try the search engine and that's all he meant.

We get several posts a day asking for information that's already here on this site. The two ways to find it are; #1 Len or I or someone else does a search and posts the resultant thread(s). #2 the original poster does a search. I don't think it too awful to ask the users to do a search on their own.

I think the typed word just came across wrong.

[ 03-14-2004: Message edited by: Dave King ]

WOOOOA!

We have all heard of "road rage" but lately this board has experienced quite a bit of "cyber rage".
mad.gif

What in the world is going on here lately?

Let's all chill out and AVOID the pitfalls that have infected nearly every other shooting related board.

VH

Its called cabin sickness. Winter is almost over and everybody will be back to the range and being normal. Lets all sit back and crack open a beer and learn to laugh at ourselves. We should be focusing our negitive energy on the anti's and not the sport of long range hunting. Just my two cents.
mad.gif

Maelty,
Craig Willis shot very well all last year with Cauteruccio 7mm bullets. Hawks Ridge 1k BR club site will have stats.

Michael

Hunter

Just back from my parents' 62nd wedding anniversary party.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.