Questions RE: N560, Hunting Texas in the Summer, 30-06

I've got some H4350, but I already had a bunch of ammo loaded up with N560 and wanted to give it a try.

Okie John
Your N560 will shoot fine in Nov thru April in Texas and good anywhere in the Midwest but when
I drove thru Central Texas a few weeks ago it was 108.....Just use it to hunt other times of the year or in the upper Midwest.

Totally agree with the vet. My favorite caliber is the 7saum hence my most reliable powder is N560. You just know when and when not to use it. If I'm hunting south texas and it's 98 degrees on Christmas I'm going to be shooting a load with H1000 or Retumbo. Any other time N560.

All of the H series extreme powders and the Endurons should work.

Even then over 95 or 100 you will get some effects of heat. Especially in a hot chamber w no cool down or on rapid semi auto

Back from this hunt and wanted to follow up.

Largely because of this thread, I swapped out my 30-06 for a Model 700 in 308 loaded with a 150-grain Barnes TSX over 49.7 grains of CFE-223. MV is right at 2,800 fps in this rifle. I killed one 70-ish pound hog at about 50 yards with one shot on the first night, then got skunked the next night. The bullet expanded and exited. The hog dropped in its tracks.

I made the shot about 9:00 PM when the temperature was about 75F, so heat wasn't a problem. But it was 85F when I checked my zero and could easily have been 10-20 degrees hotter, so I'm glad I made the switch.

Thanks to all who replied.

Okie John

Back from this hunt and wanted to follow up.

Largely because of this thread, I swapped out my 30-06 for a Model 700 in 308 loaded with a 150-grain Barnes TSX over 49.7 grains of CFE-223. MV is right at 2,800 fps in this rifle. I killed one 70-ish pound hog at about 50 yards with one shot on the first night, then got skunked the next night. The bullet expanded and exited. The hog dropped in its tracks.

I made the shot about 9:00 PM when the temperature was about 75F, so heat wasn't a problem. But it was 85F when I checked my zero and could easily have been 10-20 degrees hotter, so I'm glad I made the switch.

Thanks to all who replied.

Okie John
Glad you had a good experience. To answer your original question about the temp. sensitivity of N560, this chart attached shows 0.97 fps per degree of change. So if you sighted in and developed load, in 70 degrees and it was 100, you could expect at least 30 fps more velocity.
The issue I have seen first hand that over some threshold of temperature, these factors do not stay linear, they likely go exponential. I have seen that with both RL 26 and N560 in 100 degree weather, just went bat crazy,
---not about 1 fps per degree. And in a semi auto with a hot chamber who knows? But for what it is worth see attachment.

Attachments

• powder temp sensitivity and burn rate.PNG
    powder temp sensitivity and burn rate.PNG
    72.6 KB · Views: 37