Questions, questions and more questions

hedhuntr

Hey all, I'm new to the sport and have some questions about a particular scope rifle combinations. I just picked up a browning laminate thumb hole stocked Eclipse M-1000 in 300 wsm with an older Nikon Monarch 3.5-10 x 50 UCC scope. I personally never shot the rifle yet but saw the gun shoot sub 1'' moa at 100yrds (holes were clover leafing) My main question is this: would any of you have a problem investing the $$ in a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 with the velocity 1000 reticle for this rifle?

Thanks

A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse, , Browning Firearms Product

NXS

Welcome aboard hedhuntr .................
The reticle is a personal choice and that's usually predicated on the intended use of the instrument. Clearly you wouldn't put that NF scope on an old .22 rim fire that your uncle handed down to you. But you have a very nice rifle. However, whether or not the Nightforce is the scope for you should be a decision you make irrespective of the rifle you will mount it on. If the Nikon does what you need it to do on that rifle then I would see no reason to spend the big bucks on the NF. However, if you've got the money and want the pleasure of using a very nice scope I wouldn't hestitate to put a NF on that rifle.

I do not believe that the Nikon scope will do what I want it to do and that is to reach the maximum range and or potential of the gun. Sorry I should have mentioned that. I would like to shoot out past 600 yards and do not think a 10x scope without at least target turrets will do that.

Sir,

A general rule, that not everyone follows, is to spend more on the scope than the rifle. I doubt you will regret purchasing a Nightforce, but a lesser scope may also fit your needs. If I had the money I would buy the Nightforce.

I do not believe that the Nikon scope will do what I want it to do and that is to reach the maximum range and or potential of the gun. Sorry I should have mentioned that. I would like to shoot out past 600 yards and do not think a 10x scope without at least target turrets will do that.

I agree. Buy the Nightforce ...........................
Only difference I'd make is to get the MOAR reticle cuz I need something that will meet my needs for both hunting and competition.

I would prove that it shoots Sub-MOA to 400-500 yards (which the current scope should do) before putting anything else on it. 100 yards is a nice start but - it's just a start.

Buy an NF with a true value reticle MOA or Mil. You can use it with any weapon and it will give you true measurements so to speak. The velocity ret. will be off the more you go out in distance. It can work but to me using MOA and/or Mil is so much easier for me. All the programs and apps are set up for Mil or MOA.
JMO

You have gotten a lot of good advice here already, but here is my two cents: if you have unlimited funds, then by all means, go buy a NF. Obviously do your research ahead of time and make sure you buy the one that fits what you want.

The caveat I will throw out there is if you only have $1,800 to spend right now, you probably want to go shoot the gun first and see how accurate it is. Make sure you don't need to put more money into it to get it accurate enough. The great thing with scopes is that they can be put on different rifles, so if the Browning ends up not being the right setup you can change it to another rifle of choice. But if you have to buy another rifle, that isn't cheap either.

The other thing I would tell you is make sure the NF is the scope YOU want and you aren't just buying it for the name recognition. For example, I probably won't ever put a 5.5-22x56 NF on a rifle that I am lugging through the woods for miles on an elk hunt. The weight just isn't worth it for me. And I also have a hard time beating up a scope that is worth $1,800, but that's just me :)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.