Questions on out of state elk tag

ndking1126

My cousin has gone hunting 2 out of the 3 last years with his coworker in Colorado. His coworker has family there that I understand lives close to national forest.

My cousin said those two years they all arrived in town, went into a Department of Wildlife office and bought their out of state rifle bull elk tag. No draw, no points etc.. just swiped a credit card.

He invited me to go this year and says we'll be able to do the same. Does that sound right to to all of you?

I cant argue with your logic, but what fun is that? Haha. I'd rather ask my everyone here. I guess the lack of input means I'm going to have to call them regardless.

Yes! Depending on the unit hunted, over the county antlered elk tags are available in Colorado. The regulations list which units and many of them have good elk populations. Not likely to find a record book bull but it has been done.

And that's rifle?

He said each year one person in the group shot a bull. I'm actually leaning towards a cow tag if it won't embarrass my cousin too much. Haha. They are looking for the big bull, but I've noticed antlers dont make the meat taste any better so I'm not quite as picky.

If you know the unit/units you will be hunting, you can pull up the leftover list and see if there is a cow tag available. If there is, buy it early and they will send it to you.

My cousin has gone hunting 2 out of the 3 last years with his coworker in Colorado. His coworker has family there that I understand lives close to national forest.

My cousin said those two years they all arrived in town, went into a Department of Wildlife office and bought their out of state rifle bull elk tag. No draw, no points etc.. just swiped a credit card.

He invited me to go this year and says we'll be able to do the same. Does that sound right to to all of you?
I have been many times and the 2nd and 3rd rifle season tags are over the counter, or at least they were in the past. A quick call to the Colorado parks and wildlife will tell you if anything has changed. The 1st and 4th rifle elk seasons are drawing only.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.