Questions on a Mule Shed

Nope just me, I don't care that much but I followed the B & C and measured a few times. I've measured others and taken a look at certified racks, I can't be off by too much.

Nope just me, I don't care that much but I followed the B & C and measured a few times. I've measured others and taken a look at certified racks, I can't be off by too much.
It does look like a monster. Especially given the inside spread I would think more than 155. But yeah, me watching one video on youtube doesn't count for anything and it's not a big deal to me either way whether 110 or 140. Thanks for posting!

Mule deer can be hard to judge if your a whitetail guy. When you look at a 200" mule deer it puts it in perspective how small a 140 150 is.

I justed posted pics of my 4x4 173 mulie. 18" spread. You could use to compare. We new people get very lucky sometimes.

Attachments

• IMG_20211026_113243~2.jpg
    IMG_20211026_113243~2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 94
Looks like a three year old buck, a lot of times the other side would be a two or three pt. I would be surprised if it scores over 130 just my opinion . Guess i'm going to have to figure how to post pictures ,iv'e tried but can't get it done.

Truth is score is really not relevant, If you like the trophy thats all that counts. I've been blessed and have several B&C bucks on the wall and everyone that see's them thinks they are far larger than they are. Attached is a nice buck my son took a while back. The buck is 33" wide and with the broken tine expected to be 5" it only scored 172" Most think it's bigger because it's so wide. Still a nice buck. Really a challenge to harvest a 170" mule deer.

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    971.5 KB · Views: 75
I agree that your estimate of 130" buck is likely close to what that buck would score. Deep forks are what make a deer score high in B&C and this shed doesn't have deep forks. Spread also has very little effect on score. I killed a 190" buck in Colorado a couple weeks ago that was only 23" wide. A couple years ago I killed a buck in Colorado that was over 30" wide but would only score around 140" because it didn't have deep forks.
It is difficult to estimate age based off a shed. My guess is that would represent average genetics for a 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 year old mule deer. It could be a 2 1/2 year old deer with excellent genetics or a 7 year old buck with bad genetics.

Attachments

• AC3DA1C8-11A5-449C-8A13-FF7F8309AC2B.jpeg
    AC3DA1C8-11A5-449C-8A13-FF7F8309AC2B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 72
  • 6CCC0BF5-8073-46A5-B442-6D43A9D6F854.jpeg
    6CCC0BF5-8073-46A5-B442-6D43A9D6F854.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 68
I don't think the pictures do it justice on how tall the antler is. It's quite tall, just not deep and definitely not with deep forks as many have mentioned. I'd be curious to know how tall some of these antlers are you guys are posting (measured from the base to the top of the highest tip).

Last edited:
The first point is G1,doesnt totally relate to height of rack,thats more the shape it takes.If narrow lot of time goes up,but could score same as a wide one that put height in width,long main beam

Looks like a three year old buck, a lot of times the other side would be a two or three pt. I would be surprised if it scores over 130 just my opinion . Guess i'm going to have to figure how to post pictures ,iv'e tried but can't get it done.

I'm right with you, most definately a juvi

I agree that your estimate of 130" buck is likely close to what that buck would score. Deep forks are what make a deer score high in B&C and this shed doesn't have deep forks. Spread also has very little effect on score. I killed a 190" buck in Colorado a couple weeks ago that was only 23" wide. A couple years ago I killed a buck in Colorado that was over 30" wide but would only score around 140" because it didn't have deep forks.
It is difficult to estimate age based off a shed. My guess is that would represent average genetics for a 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 year old mule deer. It could be a 2 1/2 year old deer with excellent genetics or a 7 year old buck with bad genetics.

width is spoken about a lot, but real world it only accounts for 15% of the score

and yes a true 170 main frame no stickers is a heck of a buck and truly tough to find in most locals