Questions on 6.5 prc

apologize for posting something not thread related, but had to comment when I saw your auto signature that says "Every day that I wake up to my family is a good day". I'm recovering from almost dying & am still on oxygen. This is the 4th time in my life doctors have told me that I almost didn't make it. Nothing to make you appreciate life like almost dying.
Lynn,
After speaking to you a number of times last year about your health issues, I got so much inspiration that I have been able to go through two spinal fusions and just last week a four by-pass open heart surgery. Every time I felt like hesitating, I thought about your health challenges, and your experience has given me the strength to press on.

Thank you for the info I hope I can find some bullets I have 100 bullets of the 127 lrx looking for some sceanr bullets and the 143 eldx
Well - if you get too hard up looking for the ELD-x let me know. I'm sure I could send some your way. Especially if some of what I have back ordered actually materializes.

Growing up I spent a fair amount of time in the hills south of grantsville. Skull valley was a favorite camping area for the scouts... many memories there.

I have always been very skeptical of the 6.5 caliber. This year I decided to try it out deer hunting so I got the least expensive 6.5 creedmoor I could find and went out. I shot a white tail doe at 210 yards and it dropped it in one shot. I was shooting 143gr. hornady ELD-X bullets hand loaded with a mid velocity load Winchester 760 powder from the Hornady manual 9th addition. I'm still a little skeptical of this cartridge on elk if I ever get a once in a lifetime elk tag in my state I will take a larger bore rifle for that hunt. This is a picture of a new bullet and the bullet I recovered from the deer. View attachment 226945
Nice I've heard these 6.5s are some elk killers also I had a creedmoor and sold it to by the bergara b14 wilderness ridge in 6.5 prc
There will always be instances of component failure under the right conditions but we have taken several deer and elk with the 142 ABLR and had nothing but outstanding results. It may be the overall most lethal LR 6.5 pill I have witnessed over the past few years. I have heard of excessive damage at closer ranges but for reaching out past 350 yards or so they have been highly reliable for me (closest shot we have taken with the 143 was 220 yards and it worked perfectly. I have also had great performance from the 156 Berger and 143 ELD-X. These three are my current preferences for true long range hunting but this year we loaded the 156s because the combination of high BC, reliable accuracy and easy load development has been hard to ignore. We loaded the 156 in the Creedmoors last year and had impressed results with deer and elk so this hunting season I loaded the CMs and PRCs using the 156 EOL. For closer shots I would look at the regular Accubonds, partitions, or monos if you prefer copper. Obviously there are many good options I have not mentioned but these are what I am most confident with today in 6.5 at longer ranges.
So for long range 600 yards on elk would you chance it with the 6.5 prc and what bullet

How do you like your Bergara so far and which particular model?
You know the fill weight and action I really like it heard nothing but good I'm wanting to work up some loads but can't locate bullets and primers, I have shot anything out of it yet, I'm layer up for a few weeks had total knee replaced my bergara is the wilderness ridge not the best pic

Attachments

• C34C54CF-817C-4EC2-B52D-E52566E92EB9.jpeg
    C34C54CF-817C-4EC2-B52D-E52566E92EB9.jpeg
    772.5 KB · Views: 109
Nice I've heard these 6.5s are some elk killers also I had a creedmoor and sold it to by the bergara b14 wilderness ridge in 6.5 prc

So for long range 600 yards on elk would you chance it with the 6.5 prc and what bullet
I wouldn't use any 6.5 caliber on elk over 150 yards. You need to use a large enough caliber to be ethical. You don't want to have to put 5 or 6 rounds into an animal to bring it down.

6.5 PRC and 6.5 Creedmoor are fine elk cartridges. Just like any rifle used to hunt elk; proper bullet selection and frequent shooter practice are paramount to making ethical kills. I don't care how large your caliber is, if you can't shoot it accurately, repeatedly, you will struggle to kill ethically. To each his own on ethical distance. This is dependent on practice, practice, practice. If you don't frequently practice shooting over 250 yards then making an ethical shot at 500 or 600 yards is not likely in your wheelhouse. But for those that practice frequently at 550 yards and at that distance group their shots into a 6" circle, should have no problem with ethically killing an elk with a 6.5 PRC or 6.5 Creedmoor at the same distance. Again, having confidence in yourself and in your equipment will make a major difference.

3 years ago I killed a cow elk at 600 yards with my 6.5 Creedmoor using Barnes LRX reloads before they had factory rounds. I had practiced frequently at 500 yards and had even practiced at 800 yards.

this year I waited on the bedded elk to stand after only able to get within 750 yards before all cover was gone. Using the 6.5 PRC with 143 gr ELD-X when a few elk wandered to just under 500 I was more than confident and one shot through her lungs and she was done.

Yes Ethical can mean different things to different people, I suggest that each person has to know for themselves where they are comfortable and hold themselves to their comfort standards. We owe that to each other and to the game we seek.

Best!!

On Monday in wyo I shot a cow at 410yds with my 6.5 sherman long with a 127gr lrx at 3300fps..went thru rib cage a little high but knocked her down, she got up and stumbled around and tipped over..I have shot 17elk with 7 and 30 stw's from 50yds to 480yds and they didn't kill em any faster.

140 grain accubonds in mine shoot very well and very capable bullet. I also use 130 grain scirocco's in several other 6.5's. My wife rocked a 450-500lb red stag with a creedmoor using 130 grain scirocco's. I'm a believer in that bullet it drives deep and holds together very well.

you'll enjoy the prc its a thumper!

6.5 PRC and 6.5 Creedmoor are fine elk cartridges. Just like any rifle used to hunt elk; proper bullet selection and frequent shooter practice are paramount to making ethical kills. I don't care how large your caliber is, if you can't shoot it accurately, repeatedly, you will struggle to kill ethically. To each his own on ethical distance. This is dependent on practice, practice, practice. If you don't frequently practice shooting over 250 yards then making an ethical shot at 500 or 600 yards is not likely in your wheelhouse. But for those that practice frequently at 550 yards and at that distance group their shots into a 6" circle, should have no problem with ethically killing an elk with a 6.5 PRC or 6.5 Creedmoor at the same distance. Again, having confidence in yourself and in your equipment will make a major difference.

3 years ago I killed a cow elk at 600 yards with my 6.5 Creedmoor using Barnes LRX reloads before they had factory rounds. I had practiced frequently at 500 yards and had even practiced at 800 yards.

this year I waited on the bedded elk to stand after only able to get within 750 yards before all cover was gone. Using the 6.5 PRC with 143 gr ELD-X when a few elk wandered to just under 500 I was more than confident and one shot through her lungs and she was done.

Yes Ethical can mean different things to different people, I suggest that each person has to know for themselves where they are comfortable and hold themselves to their comfort standards. We owe that to each other and to the game we seek.

Best!!
Good job

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts