Questions For The Savage Guys

Well tell me where because I've not located a push feed mag head for a short action manufactured by savage.
They were only a year or two. I'm not telling you you'll find one I'm telling you they made them. If you want a push feed short mag your best bet is to get a head from PTG.

They were only a year or two. I'm not telling you you'll find one I'm telling you they made them. If you want a push feed short mag your best bet is to get a head from PTG.
Yeah I have several of their heads. Have had issues with ptg so I only use them if I have too.

You'll be happy to know they are currently chambering push feed actions in 300 wsm but they are large shank( I'm sure factory wsms were always large shrank).

My understanding is that Savage stopped chambering small shank actions in WSM because they had issues with the barrel swelling due to pressures caused by not having enough barrel steel around the WSM chamber. They only sold small shank WSMs for less than a year. The large shank leaves a little more barrel steel around the chamber after the barrel it cut and solves the issue. Don't think they ever had a small shank WSM blow up though.
They also use large shanks on all actions that use 1" bull barrels, WSM or not.

My understanding is that Savage stopped chambering small shank actions in WSM because they had issues with the barrel swelling due to pressures caused by not having enough barrel steel around the WSM chamber. They only sold small shank WSMs for less than a year. The large shank leaves a little more barrel steel around the chamber after the barrel it cut and solves the issue. Don't think they ever had a small shank WSM blow up though.
They also use large shanks on all actions that use 1" bull barrels, WSM or not.

And yet they are making the 6.5 PRC and 300 WSM in 110 high country, plus others. Correct me if I am wrong, but those are all standard shank.

I hear ya.
And yet they are making the 6.5 PRC and 300 WSM in 110 high country, plus others. Correct me if I am wrong, but those are all standard shank.
I hear ya. The 6.5 PRC has slightly less diameter than a WSM case though. And I thought the new Savage numbering scheme did away with Model 10~12 etc and they all pretty much have a long action number scheme now. Guess what I'm trying to say is a 110 in WSM may actually be a short action with a large shank. I really don't know.

To the best of my knowledge you can adapt any short action Savage to just about any short action cartridge. you would need a barrel nut wrench, the correct chambered barrel, the correct bolt head, and the correct magazine. the transformation should take just about 35 to 60 minutes. This is dependent on the amount of tear down and rebuilding.

for the guys that don't want to use PTG for bolt heads you can get them from
Nate Lambeth at custom guns and ammunition.
I would not worry to much about large or small shank with RUM,WSM or SAUM case but the Lapua size is a different story

I spoke with them today. The wsm is large shank push feed. Didn't ask about the PRC.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.