Questions for Michigan Coyote hunters?

engineer40

Hey everyone... I'm looking for some advice for hunting coyotes in Michigan.

Can you coyote hunt from a tree stand in Michigan?

How close can you usually get to a coyote? I have some land in Lake County but it is mostly wooded. I would prefer to try first hunting the property I already own. And when camping there I have heard them during the nights so I know they are there. But if it's not worth the effort to hunt them in wooded areas I do have some other, less convenient options.

Can I use an animal decoy that moves when hunting coyotes in Michigan?
And scents?
I was reading someone's Michigan based website on hunting coyotes and it said that only calling them in was legal.

Are there any restrictions on the firearm I can use for coyotes in Michigan?

Thanks!

Well, here in MN I have shot several and my go to weapon of choice is a shotgun loaded with HeviShot Dead Coyote. We call them in with rabbit calls or if we are doing predator management at our hunting areas in the spring turkey calls and fawn bleats work. If I hunt with someone else one of us runs a shotgun and the other an AR15. We have used turkey decoys and rabbit decoys with luck. We only use mouth calls.

Raised Platforms and Tree Stands
The following persons may hunt from a raised platform or tree stand:
• All bow and crossbow hunters.
• Bear, deer, and elk hunters when using a firearm.
• Fox and coyote hunters from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour
after sunset
You can get coyotes in real close.

Michigan coyote hunting laws and seasons

Coyote may be taken on private property by a property owner or designee all year if they are doing or about to do damage on private property. A license or written permit is not needed.

Residents possessing a valid small game license may hunt coyote during the established season.

Michigan Coyote Hunting Season:
Statewide July 15 - April 15 with game or predator call only. Firearm may be loaded or arrow nocked only when using call.
Firearms: You may use a centerfire rifle during daytime hunting hours in the shotgun zone.

Damage Control: September 15 – October 14 – Only on private lands when doing or about to do damage; landowners and guests only; with game or predator call only; firearm may be loaded or arrow nocked only when using call.
Residents possessing a valid small game license may hunt coyote during the established season.

Special Season and dates for hunting Michigan coyotes at night: October 15 – March 1

Legal Devices: Only a bow and arrow, crossbow, .22 caliber or smaller rimfire rifle or handgun or a shotgun with loads other than buckshot, slug or cut shell.
Note: All hunters using a .22 or smaller caliber rimfire to take a furbearing animal day or night from November 10 – November 14 must have a fur harvester license.

Special restriction in shotgun zone: No rifles or handguns from November 15 – November 30.

Legal Artificial Lights: Only lights similar to the type ordinarily held in the hand or on the person. – Flashlights, portable battery powered spotlights and headlamps and similar portable lights designed to be carried in the hand or on the person are legal. The use of natural light including night vision optics and scopes is legal.

http://www.michigancoyotehunting.com/laws-and-seasons.html

Last edited:
Thanks!

I did read the Michigan DNR's website before posting my questions. I read it as I can use whatever centerfire rifle I want, even in the shotgun area, except if hunting at night or if hunting coyotes during the first 2 weeks of rifle deer season.

So, no decoys either correct? It seems like decoys are very popular within the coyote hunting community.

Thanks!

Finally a topic i feel good about commenting on!
Hunting wooded areas works great especially mid day. I tend to hunt the edges and fields at first and last light.
Decoys work good IF they are quiet. I see way to many that are loud.
I've been within steps of them when they come in to well over 2-300yds.
during daytime any firearm is legal, nighttime (which starts October 15) only rimfire or shotgun and no slugs or buckshot
I wouldn't worry about scents it is much more important to hunt the wind correctly.
biggest issue about tree stand and wooded areas is your visibility. If they are circling out there a ways the foliage may not allow you to see them.
Feel free to pm me for more info or check out our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/overdriveoutdoors or our YouTube channel by the same name.

Thanks!

I did read the Michigan DNR's website before posting my questions. I read it as I can use whatever centerfire rifle I want, even in the shotgun area, except if hunting at night or if hunting coyotes during the first 2 weeks of rifle deer season.

So, no decoys either correct? It seems like decoys are very popular within the coyote hunting community.

Thanks!

Incorrect! Decoys, both stationary or with movement, are perfectly legal to use for coyote hunting in MI.

I live in the SE part of the state and there is a big (human) population concentration in the area. If the area you want to hunt is hunted by other hunters, or is surrounded by land leased to hunters, then it is quite possible that the entire coyote population will be conditioned to people and hunters. In that case, you might find that calling does not work, except for coyote vocalizations at night (when in season). I hunt on ag land with livestock, so coyotes are doing damage any time they are on the property, so it is not strictly "hunting" rather protecting livestock.

Most of the coyotes I have taken were sniped. Get into a good vantage point well before first light, sit still and they will usually show up just as the sky starts lightening, headed back to their den after a nights hunting. In the winter when you can see tracks, it is much more helpful in knowing their pattern. I averaged about 15-20 mornings in the field before spotting them. One has to be ready, since they are on the move and you have to spot them and then react so often the entire experience is only 10-20 seconds. Make sure your face is covered, that you have something behind you to break your silhouette. Wear black gloves since they have an uncanny ability to spot any movement.

Later this month the daylight predation on livestock is going to begin, Tough deal since I have a regular job, but they figure out peoples habits and when everyone is away working. August is usually the peak time for lamb kills. It seems that the adults take the yearling pups out on hunts on dumb critters like sheep to give them a start to taking down other game that might be more inclined to fight back, even a little. Most of the time very little of the sheep is actually eater. A lot of the time they may tear off a front leg and eat part of the shoulder with the sheep still alive.

Good luck, it is not easy. Every little but helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.