Questions for a custom gunsmith

wyomingblizzard

Hello, I am almost to the point of haveing a custom long range rifle built. My first question is, should I by the componets or let the smith get them? In my work I dont like customer to supply thier own parts, is it the same with smiths? I think that I would prefer to let the pro choose the componets based on his expertise. I am still in the early stagesof planning and would welcome your advise on this subject. Thanks

I almost always supply everything. Your smith can get discounts on parts due to high volume purchases but then they may make a bit on top also, and that's just good business anyway so your out of pocket is likely about the same.

What I've done with my last 6 rifles is I buy the actions but they are sent directly to the smith. Same with barrels, and either of us will do the Jewel triggers. I rarely supply the stock. He just orders several at a time from McMillan. In the past I have bought the stock and mailed it to the smith.

I have several preturned blanks in my safe (barrels), and sometimes some triggers on hand.

You can go ether way. Some guys like you to buy their stuff, but usually don't care if you supply your own parts if they are of the quality that you expect the rifle to be. If price wise it ends up being the same, it usually helps out the smith by buying from them because they can make a few bucks and they will be happy to help you out in the decision process if you are on the fence about something. However, don't always go with what the smith has, just because they have one. I've seen some guys sell stocks, barrels.. etc just to get rid of them. If it's a good smith, there should be no worries there though.

I would do my research figure out what will work best for you and get what you want. If your smith has it good, if not you can ether get it or they can get it for you. Ether way everyone wins. The nice part about buying from a smith is they usually don't charge you until the entire project is done. In this case, you are not sitting on $1,000 in parts that you may not see for a year. Some people are uneasy with that feeling.

I've done it both ways, ether way is correct.

Ask the smith? Kinda hard to garentee your work when you aint sure where the parts come from though????

I know some customers can't afford everything at once so they pick up a piece here and there over the course of a year or more and when they feel they have everything they send it in to be built. I'm OK with that but if by chance they get the wrong part or an inferior part and don't know it I have to re-order it and depending on what it was it can delay the build time. It's usually easiest for me to discuss the build with the customer. Lay out some options until the customer is satisfied that's what they want. Then have the customer make a down payment and let me order everything for the build. As stated before we usually get dealer pricing on some parts and only charge the same as if you the customer were to buy the components yourself. I constitute the money I make on components as getting paid for the time making phone calls and answering e-mails.

Hello, I am almost to the point of haveing a custom long range rifle built. My first question is, should I by the componets or let the smith get them? In my work I dont like customer to supply thier own parts, is it the same with smiths? I think that I would prefer to let the pro choose the componets based on his expertise. I am still in the early stagesof planning and would welcome your advise on this subject. Thanks

Talk to your Smith and get his recommendations first. If you don't like something then discuss it
with him and make sure it is Ok and will not hinder his ability to meet your accuracy and
performance requirements.

If you take the responsibility of furnishing all the componants it removes some of his responsibility
to warranty anything. But if you and he agree on everything then it is OK to furnish everything.

Sometimes he can save you a little money if he passes on his discount.(Some do and some
don't).

I recomend that your smith order everything per your approval.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for your time gentlmen, I was hopenig that some of you would responed. This will be my first full custom rifle. In my bussnies as a mechanic in know the problems with customers furnishing poor quality or missmatched parts. I havent choosen a gunsmith yet, but will soon. I most definantly want to talk about all options before any final desission is made. I will be contacting one of you guys soon. You all have such wonderfull reps. It makes it hard to choose! I fully relieze the time frames involved, so I want to get rolling soon, to have the rifle by next summer. Again thanks for your time!

Thanks for your time gentlmen, I was hopenig that some of you would responed. This will be my first full custom rifle. In my bussnies as a mechanic in know the problems with customers furnishing poor quality or missmatched parts. I havent choosen a gunsmith yet, but will soon. I most definantly want to talk about all options before any final desission is made. I will be contacting one of you guys soon. You all have such wonderfull reps. It makes it hard to choose! I fully relieze the time frames involved, so I want to get rolling soon, to have the rifle by next summer. Again thanks for your time!

I can make the decission on which Gunsmith easy. Pick one of the sponsors closest to you
and spend time talking/visiting with him to find out everything you can on componants and
schedule he has in mind.

A personal connection with the Gunsmith is allways best for a great rifle project.

I think the first custom rifle is special, and should be a great experience. Lots of though,
planning and communication with the smith will improve the outcome.

A side note= Sometimes schedule can be improved buy buying the componants and taking
them to the smith. He has everything and if he can start soon you should have your rifle
in a month or two. (Make sure that all of the componants are compatible with each other
and the smith recommends them).

Have fun

J E CUSTOM

Hello, I am almost to the point of haveing a custom long range rifle built. My first question is, should I by the componets or let the smith get them? In my work I dont like customer to supply thier own parts, is it the same with smiths? I think that I would prefer to let the pro choose the componets based on his expertise. I am still in the early stages of planning and would welcome your advise on this subject. Thanks

Discuss it all with your smith via telephone. THEN set down and email him the items you discussed and LIST the individual items. List that you want a
1) Brand X barrel in length and caliber
2) Stock made by Y and the model
3) Action of course and whether SST or chrome moly
4) Any surface treatment you desire ( Ceracote or whatever)

Get it all down on paper even if it has to go back and forth a few times. And KEEP those emails to print out later if need be.

Ya got to remember your gun isnt the only one he is working on ( if it is...find another gunsmith) and people can get mixed up.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.