Questions about the 338 Win Mag

JohnnyT3

Hey guys... I am just getting into the idea of LRS and have a few questions.

I have a Remington 700 BDL 338 Win Mag that I sometimes use for hunting.

1. Can this be a good rifle to start LRS with?
2. If not, what would be a good base to start with that I can upgrade later and not have to start all over?

I'm not looking to compete or anything, just want to get into the sport for now. Competitions may come later.

Thanks, Johnny

Nearly any caliber can be used to start your education in long range shooting. You don't mention whether or not you reload, but cost and availability of ammo is something to consider. While the 338 WM may not be as sexy as some of the higher velocity 338's, it will get the job done. Providing your rifle can hold under one MOA, my first two purchases would be a good scope that can provide repeatable dial ups and a good rangefinder.

LRS is not an inexpensive sport, but you can manage on a budget by buying good used equipment and learning from the mistakes of others. When it comes to good reliable equipment - be it scopes or rangefinders- you will often hear the saying: "Buy once, cry once". Believe it. Cut corners here and you will pay a bigger price later when you find you need to sell and buy something better.

T3, nothing wrong starting with the 338 Win. I have several friends with them as their primary hunters. Several are very accurate and have shot game at distance. If you decide to compete, perhaps a flatter shooting higher velocity caliber would be more desirable. Like azsugarbear said, good equipment is paramount. Don't rush, research equipment and use your knowledge to help achieve your LR goals. Good luck

Nearly any caliber can be used to start your education in long range shooting. You don't mention whether or not you reload, but cost and availability of ammo is something to consider. While the 338 WM may not be as sexy as some of the higher velocity 338's, it will get the job done. Providing your rifle can hold under one MOA, my first two purchases would be a good scope that can provide repeatable dial ups and a good rangefinder.

LRS is not an inexpensive sport, but you can manage on a budget by buying good used equipment and learning from the mistakes of others. When it comes to good reliable equipment - be it scopes or rangefinders- you will often hear the saying: "Buy once, cry once". Believe it. Cut corners here and you will pay a bigger price later when you find you need to sell and buy something better.

I don't reload. Although a buddy of mine gave me the dies for the 338WM so if I ever get into reloading, that's one less thing I'll need. Also, everything that I have right now is for shorter ranges. The scope that is on it is a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40. I have only target shot this rifle. I've only been deer hunting once, I saw one doe, but didn't have a doe tag.

I will research scopes and rangefinders. Can you recommend any?

T3, nothing wrong starting with the 338 Win. I have several friends with them as their primary hunters. Several are very accurate and have shot game at distance. If you decide to compete, perhaps a flatter shooting higher velocity caliber would be more desirable. Like azsugarbear said, good equipment is paramount. Don't rush, research equipment and use your knowledge to help achieve your LR goals. Good luck

That's good to know. Once I move to Gillette, WY. I will get some good LR shots with the gun and go from there. Until then, I will research a good gun to build if I decide to go that route.

I don't skimp on anything, so I will only but good gear for it. I will also take my time for the build. Any recommendations for rifle cal, scope and range finder from you would be greatly appreciated. Not necessarily only for hunting, but for LRS competitions also.

I'm excited about this. Up until now, I've been into small game and hand guns...

For scopes, I like the Leupold VX III's with target turrets; the Sightron SIII series; or the Vortex Viper PST's. All can be purchased used in the $600 to $750 range. The next step up would be the Nightforce SVH scopes, and above that the Nightforce NXS, Vortex Razor, IOR valdada; and then from there.......the stratosphere.

As far a rangefinder go, I would go with either the Leica 16 B (first choice) or the Swarovski. These can be found used for $600 to $700. The next step up (and it is a big step up in performance would be the BR2 from G7. Finally, the Vectronix rangefinders are the top tier, but they have recently decided to leave the civilian market, so prices and availability are spiking.

Just do your research - and don't skimp.

Lots of very good choices out there. Just about anything with a medium or larger case and a pointy bullet can be made to sing. For long range anything, the rifle should be reasonably accurate (1 moa-ish or better). 338 WM can be quite accurate but IMO can also be very finicky with factory ammo and even a little hard to find a good load for if you reload. Without a brake or at the very least, a good recoil pad, it can pound you pretty hard after 15 or 20 shots to where you just want to put it down for the day. Factory ammo is not on the inexpensive side either. Were it me, I'd hunt with the 338 WM but look for something a little different to get into long range with. There are quite a few inherently accurate standard calibers which are used for long range that can be found through most manufacturers or on the used market at a reasonable cost, are pleasant to shoot and have good ammo availability (match grade offerings) at fair prices if you don't reload. Manufacturers offer certain popular calibers specifically designed for long range applications. The 243 and 308 come to mind. They regularly are used at 600 yards (which is a long distance) and are frequently stretched out to 800 to 1000 and both can be used to hunt in addition to recreational shooting. There are lots of other great caliber choices as well although ammo selection, availability and price should be a consideration until your set up to reload. Or... shoot your 338 WM because you have it which makes a lot of sense too.

For scopes, I like the Leupold VX III's with target turrets; the Sightron SIII series; or the Vortex Viper PST's. All can be purchased used in the $600 to $750 range. The next step up would be the Nightforce SVH scopes, and above that the Nightforce NXS, Vortex Razor, IOR valdada; and then from there.......the stratosphere.

As far a rangefinder go, I would go with either the Leica 16 B (first choice) or the Swarovski. These can be found used for $600 to $700. The next step up (and it is a big step up in performance would be the BR2 from G7. Finally, the Vectronix rangefinders are the top tier, but they have recently decided to leave the civilian market, so prices and availability are spiking.

Just do your research - and don't skimp.
I'll start looking at the range finders. You can always use a good one of those... Thanks

Lots of very good choices out there. Just about anything with a medium or larger case and a pointy bullet can be made to sing. For long range anything, the rifle should be reasonably accurate (1 moa-ish or better). 338 WM can be quite accurate but IMO can also be very finicky with factory ammo and even a little hard to find a good load for if you reload. Without a brake or at the very least, a good recoil pad, it can pound you pretty hard after 15 or 20 shots to where you just want to put it down for the day. Factory ammo is not on the inexpensive side either. Were it me, I'd hunt with the 338 WM but look for something a little different to get into long range with. There are quite a few inherently accurate standard calibers which are used for long range that can be found through most manufacturers or on the used market at a reasonable cost, are pleasant to shoot and have good ammo availability (match grade offerings) at fair prices if you don't reload. Manufacturers offer certain popular calibers specifically designed for long range applications. The 243 and 308 come to mind. They regularly are used at 600 yards (which is a long distance) and are frequently stretched out to 800 to 1000 and both can be used to hunt in addition to recreational shooting. There are lots of other great caliber choices as well although ammo selection, availability and price should be a consideration until your set up to reload. Or... shoot your 338 WM because you have it which makes a lot of sense too.
Seems to be a ton of choices and not really a wrong one. I'll continue to research different guns and wait until I move out to Gillette and then get a first hand look at what everyone there is shooting and that should help me make my decision.

But, you are right. I'll just stick with what I have for now and wait to see what the future holds...

Your 338 WM can work well as a starter LR rig. You will learn drops and wind.

It it a T3?

I have an Edge. Yes it is a potent LR round but not required for LR.

Your Luepold will work fine to 500+ someone with a spotter will help.

If you get to reloading all will work better.

A suggestion, shoot a 22LR to 200 yards for practice.

if you are not after the "ultimate" 338, consider a 338/26-Nosler. All you need to do is rechamber you 338WM.

Seems to be a ton of choices and not really a wrong one. I'll continue to research different guns and wait until I move out to Gillette and then get a first hand look at what everyone there is shooting and that should help me make my decision.

But, you are right. I'll just stick with what I have for now and wait to see what the future holds...

If there is a wrong choice, it's the one you don't shoot much.

Your 338 WM can work well as a starter LR rig. You will learn drops and wind.

It it a T3?

I have an Edge. Yes it is a potent LR round but not required for LR.

Your Luepold will work fine to 500+ someone with a spotter will help.

If you get to reloading all will work better.

A suggestion, shoot a 22LR to 200 yards for practice.

if you are not after the "ultimate" 338, consider a 338/26-Nosler. All you need to do is rechamber you 338WM.
Fantastic... I will get a lot of range time when I move. Can't wait!

What exactly is a 338/26?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.