Questions about taking 338 edge to Africa/Alaska

JHansen

Hi guys
I am working on planning a couple of trips, one to Africa and the other to Alaska and I have heard that there could be a problem taking my EDGE with me due to the headstamp on the brass. I was wondering if someone with experience could clear this up for me, I am not sure what the requirements and am guessing both are different. Do I have to have correctly headstamped brass and if so is there any possible way to get said brass. any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have flown back and forth from Alaska and the lower48 quite a few times with a 338 Lapua. Rifle locked in a case and ammo in a hard plastic case inside my luggage with no issues. TSA has never looked at the rifle or the ammo other than to identify it as a weapon.

Hi guys
I am working on planning a couple of trips, one to Africa and the other to Alaska and I have heard that there could be a problem taking my EDGE with me due to the headstamp on the brass. I was wondering if someone with experience could clear this up for me, I am not sure what the requirements and am guessing both are different. Do I have to have correctly headstamped brass and if so is there any possible way to get said brass. any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I suggest you pose this question on a heavily used African hunting forum. One of the busiest African hunting forums I've run accross is on accuratereloading.com

I took my Edge to Alaska this spring and they looked at the gun and ammo. They didn't say anything about the ammo nor did they even look at the headstamp. The only problem I had was the baggage handlers beat the livin' hell out of my guncase. Another guy on my flight had the barrel of his gun sticking out of the end of his guncase.

I have flown within Alaska with my rifle. I used Alaska Airlines and they are pretty good when it comes to firearms. The only issue that I saw happened to my buddy who only had one padlock for his guncase so he had to purchase another (I am not sure if it is a requirement to have to or to lock all available padlock holes). Here is a link to Alaska Airlines firearms transportation requirements:

Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air - Transporting Firearms

I am not sure if other carriers follow the same regulations or if this is specific to Alaska Air. Hope it helps.

I have been told that the headstamp on the cartridge/ammo your bringing in has to match whats engraved on the barrel of the rifle your bringing into Aftrica.

it should not be an issue for Alaska. Some countries in Africa do have the requirement that the headstamp match the gun but i have been on numerous safaris in numerous countries as recently as 6 weeks ago in Zimbabwe and have never had them check the headstamp. they will sometimes check quantities etc that said you do not want to get there and have an issue. each country is different so if you are going check the local laws and coordinate with your outfitter they will let you know what to do and many will be able to take care of any "issues" on the spot. if there is one thing that i have learned in traveling in africa its that a $50 bill is not a bribe, its an accelerant. often times i have seen "officials" create a problem that is not really a problem or law so once you get comfortable with that and realize its just the way it is you get over the principal and can move along to spend more time hunting. worst case scenario play it safe and bring a gun that you can get headstamped brass for or at least a solid backup (which you should have anyway) incase they take your ammo.
hope this helps,
Don

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.