Questions about Savage 110 Engage

Country Bumpkin

Here's my master plan, is this possible?

my Son (almost 9) wants to ask Santa for his first hunting rifle for Christmas. This is obviously a big deal. He understands that if he does this, Santa probably won't bring him any other presents this year (so a very mature decision).
110 Engage -

I don't want to have to buy him another rifle in 4-5 years when he's turned into a man-size human. What I want to do is buy a platform than can easily be modified and retrofitted as he grows and as his skills improve. I'd love to turn it into the 110 Ultralite.
110 Ultralite

Given the modularity of savage rifles, I'm assuming that this can be done without the assistance of a gunsmith. Correct?

Final question, if I start him out with the 243 (bolt face and action size), what are my cartridge options in the Ultralite without swapping bolts or being severely limited on COAL?

Last edited:
I did find this from JE Custom post (thank you for the cheat sheet). So this answers my last question on caliber options.

"Short actions with a bolt face .Dia of .470 +/-
225 Winchester, 22/250 Remington, 6mm Norma BR, 243 Win, 6mm Creedmoor, 250 Savage, 260 Rem, 6.5/284 Norma, 6.5 Creedmoor 7/08 Rem, 284 win, 300 Savage, 308 Win, 338 Federal, 35 Rem, and the 358 Winchester."

Pretty much workable, you can change bolt face/bolt handles/triggers/barrels/recoil lugs/and stocks they are very do it yourself friendly. Should be pretty accurate with handloads as well, make sure and bed under action around pillars. Float the barrel and headspace yourself, Good working with your son and going step at a time, he will learn the gun well for future projects and modifications. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.