Questions about opening up a bolt face

mfloski

Guys I have a Stiller S/A bolt that is currenty a .308 and I want to re-barrel to a 7SAUM, which of course requires a magnum bolt face. Is this possible, and issues?

Opening the bolt face is easy, but, as mentioned, the extractor may be an issue since the depth of cut may be shallower for the larger diameter. That's the case with a Sako extractor on a 700, so I am guessing it would apply for a M16-type, too, but I could be wrong.

Should be "doable". Extractor mods, because of the larger size of the SAUM. Is your plan to feed it in BDL style or with magazines?

These are good questions to ask since it will have a bearing on how much more work is involved such as opening the rails for a BDL and adjusting the feed ramp. If you use DBM there isn't any additional work except maybe some on the feed ramp.

I suggest calling Stiller to see about a trade. Kiff also makes Stiller bolts, sell yours and buy a PTG.

Regards.

Any time the 'plan' is to take a receiver that's set-up to handle standard, non-magnum cartridges and convert it to a magnum, these are questions worth asking. The interdnet makes it sound 'easy'. It can be damned time consuming! You need a good understanding of the feed cycle before ever beginning. A quick look at the instructions that come with Badger M-16 style extractor says the cuts are the same for .473 as they are for .532. Just the extractor is different. Both are made over sized and require 'fitting'.

I talked to Stiller about this on a LA, not that it should matter, with a standard bolt face that I was considering having opened up to mag bolt face and they told me it was a no go and it would cost $500 for a new bolt. I didn't see it as being cost effective so I left it alone and used a Rem 700 LA with mag bolt face that I already had.

I talked to Stiller about this on a LA, not that it should matter, with a standard bolt face that I was considering having opened up to mag bolt face and they told me it was a no go and it would cost $500 for a new bolt. I didn't see it as being cost effective so I left it alone and used a Rem 700 LA with mag bolt face that I already had.

Ouch!

morning, I just built a rem. 721 LA action in 257 Weatherby.
hart #6 contour barrel SS. timmey trigger, complete cerakote
coating in sniper grey.H&S combat stock.
I had the bolt face opened by my smithy. cost of $90.00.
I had this done on 4 rem. 721 actions. while having this
machining done add a sako extractor. justme gbot tum.

Any time the 'plan' is to take a receiver that's set-up to handle standard, non-magnum cartridges and convert it to a magnum, these are questions worth asking. The interdnet makes it sound 'easy'. It can be damned time consuming! You need a good understanding of the feed cycle before ever beginning. A quick look at the instructions that come with Badger M-16 style extractor says the cuts are the same for .473 as they are for .532. Just the extractor is different. Both are made over sized and require 'fitting'.

This is what I was thinking. I'm thinking of doing the same with my Vanguard.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.