Questions about glass bedding Savage 110 stagger feed actions

pburton

I have a Savage 110 Stagger feed LA with a wood stock that I want to glass bed. I have bedded a couple of Remington actions but never a Savage. My questions are: Do I bed the tang? I have heard that you should not. Do you bed around the attached magazine? What is the best way to bed this action? Thanks for any info.

P, I've bedded several, did not bed the tang per research and asking a well known smith. They are much more difficult to bed than your Remington 700, but take the time and also check inletting for clearance. The last one I did was a laminated stock and took a great deal of time to align the action verticality level to the stock. It shot 2" at 100 per the owner before the bedding and .760 at 200 after bedding. 300 WSM stainless 26" barrel which we loaded 185 Bergers that he wanted to use. Good luck

Thank you for the response. From what I have read and seen it will be a little more difficult. I am going to start working on the inletting the barrel channel and the recoil lug area later today. I figured that I will try with this wood stock before I buy a better stock for this rifle. That way if I mess it up I won't be out much. Thanks again.

I agree - they can be a real PITA to bed.

I use the barrel (blue tape wrapped around it) and the tang with 3 layers of blue masking tape under it to hold the barreled action horizontally, and use blind screws (bolts with heads cut off) in the action screw locations (also with blue tape to fill the entire hole) to align vertically. I often try to be sure the forward hole's blind screw and tape fully fill the hole, while the rear one I may make a bit smaller so it doesn't bind. I say this as there are often times when the barrel and the two action screws don't perfectly line up, so the rear screw is allowed to be a tiny bit to one side.

Take it slow, that's always the best piece of advice.

Good luck!

I did some inletting of the stock and carefully bedded it tonight. I put bedding compound in front of the rear action screw, behind the recoil lug, and I skim bedded the barrel channel. I did take my time. It took me all afternoon and into this evening to get it done. I guess we will see what happens tomorrow. Thank you for the advise.
Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.