Questions about getting a CUSTOM GUN BUILT!

andrewb1369

Alright guys I need to know if this is possible and if theres a good gunsmith willing to do this and how much it would run me.

I want a 300 WSM gun)
-24" ABS Carbon Barrel
-Surgeon Rifles Action
-Jewell Trigger
-Greybull Stock or one similiar to that style
-Titanium Muzzle Brake (negotiable on that)
-Cerakote on all metal pieces
-Box Magazine
-Huskemaw 5-20 scope mounted and sighted
-A Box of custom ammo with load data

Any info would be greatly appreciated guys.

Its possible, but its going to cost a lost of money and TIME. If that what you really want then start asking the smiths here to do it for you. Some will not do load work, others will.

Take Kirby for instance, he shoots every rifle he builds. You (or at least me) get one load that he shot out of the rifle if you ask for the data, that's a great starting point. '

Carbon ABS barrel = $850-$900 for barrel only (plus $$ chambering/installation)

Surgeon 591 short action = $1295

Surgeon 1086 long action = $1395

Jewell trigger = $210

McMillan stock = $450 (plus $$ for fitting & pillar bedding)

Vais muzzle brake = $200 installed (don't need titanium)

DBM (detachable box magazine) = $200 - $350 depending on what you want & who makes it

Cerakoting entire rifle = $250

Huskemaw scope = I have no clue, as I use only NightForce or Schmidt & Bender

Box of custom ammo = $50 - $75 if you don't load your own

Gunsmiths I have used & recommend:

Jon Beanland

Robert Gradous

BlackOps Precision (Mike Bush)

Accurate Ordnance (David Walker)

APA which was formerly Patriot Arms (Jered Joplin)

I hope this helps you out!!!

Hey guys thanks for the quick response and the input. I'm actually having a hard time deciding what caliber I want which also effects the rifle I want built. I know this is tough to do but since I'm planning on spending the money I want a "do it all rifle". Before you laugh just hear me out haha.

This is my idea and tell me what you think.

I take most of my shots between 200 and 750 yards MAX. I want something packable so im trying to keep weight down. I want something that'll kill anything from deer to elk to bear. The deer tend to be closer and the elk further. My two calibers I want are either the 300wsm in a 24" barrel or a 300rum:D in either a 26 or 28" barrel as to utilize all the powder. My main concern with the ultra mag is too much gun at more normal ranges, barrel burnout, and the having to wear ear plugs thing.

Now will using a longer barrel which means burning the powder more completely, help with the barell burnout? And if I don't do a brake will I need ear plugs? I've shot big guns and recoil doesn't bug me. I've shot 340 weatherby mags, 416 rigbys, and 428 lots. The 428 did have a helluva wallop though I'll admit.

I'm actually talking too Todd Bettin about getting a rifle built and his rifles look amazing and he recommends the RUM. I really like the idea of a 300 ultra mag. He said a 300 ultra with 180 grain bullets will do it all and that's what he uses personally for deer and elk.

Like I said guys I'm just trying to get as close to an all around gun as possible. Any input is greatly appreciated. Let's hear the opinions and ideas..
gun)

The 300 rum is a great LR round, but since you want pack-able I think the 300 wsm may do well for you in your limit of 750 yards. The rifle will turn out lighter, and handier with the shorter barrel.

I have seen a half dozen elk and deer killed well over 750 yards with 200 grain accubonds thru a 300 rum. So with a WSM running about 200 fps slower I am certain it will take care of the same animals 3-500 yards closer in.

My buddy killed a very nice bull at 650 yards with a 300 wsm and it folded where it stood.

If you were looking for an over 750 yard rifle I would recommend the 300 rum.

The 300 rum is a great LR round, but since you want pack-able I think the 300 wsm may do well for you in your limit of 750 yards. The rifle will turn out lighter, and handier with the shorter barrel.

I have seen a half dozen elk and deer killed well over 750 yards with 200 grain accubonds thru a 300 rum. So with a WSM running about 200 fps slower I am certain it will take care of the same animals 3-500 yards closer in.

My buddy killed a very nice bull at 650 yards with a 300 wsm and it folded where it stood.

If you were looking for an over 750 yard rifle I would recommend the 300 rum.

Im really liking the 300 RUM, but how about for closer ranges? is it too much? I mainly hunt at more normal ranges 200-500 but if the opportunity persists that I take the longer shot(not being able to close distance) Id like the capability. this is a toughy no doubt. thanks for all your guys input.

There is no such thing as to much gun. But in you case the 300 wsm will do fine even out to 1000 yards.

Im really liking the 300 RUM, but how about for closer ranges? is it too much? I mainly hunt at more normal ranges 200-500 but if the opportunity persists that I take the longer shot(not being able to close distance) Id like the capability. this is a toughy no doubt. thanks for all your guys input.

I have no more meat damage to deer at close ranges than a 7mm Rem Mag with my .300RUM if I shoot in the ribcage. Now if I take a shoulder shot on a big buck that I don't want to take another step and I'm not as concerned with meat loss, that is a different story. The .300RUM in the shoulder is pretty brutal. You can expect to throw the whole off side shoulder, or what little is left of it, in the trash.

My suggestion would be with using a pierce titanium action, flutted , #4 contour barrel at 25", pierce one piece aluminum ringmoumts, a mcmillan game scout stock in the edge fill and aluminum bdl bottom metal. Those abs barrels are a pain to get and take for ever. Easier to shave weight from the other areas of the gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.