Questions about chronograph speeds and powder amount

Lyman DPSII and RCBS 5-0-5 Beam Balance scale. Dial in the grains from the dispenser, double check with Beam Balance until consistent, and then check every tenth load with the Beam Balance. Works for me.

I have 2 RCBS electronic dispesers/scale. One ancient Redding beam scale. One Frankford arsenal electronic scale. No matter how hard I try they all read the same thing.

I always try to weigh charges to at least a tenth of a grain. .4 grains is way to much variance if you ask me. Your speeds are significantly varying. I would definitely start with being more consistent. Consistent means bullet seating depths checked with a comparator and not to the tip of the bullet. It means tight powder charges (under a tenth of a grain variance). Using the same brass and not different brass from different makers. Sizing and trimming those brass to be very consistent. Those are the big things if you ask me.

I do have a powder trickler and an electric scale. I also have a beam scale but found the electronic one quicker, but maybe not as accurate? When loading a couple of thousand rounds for my brother, nephew and myself having to trickle every round will slow the process. I tried Ramshot Tac and also CFE 223, it seems they meter a bit better but I didn't find them as accurate.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Exercise patience in reloading as well as shooting.
In your first post you asked if making each powder charge the same will make a difference:
My approach is that there are many variables involved in accurately hitting the intended target. Each Shooter/Handloader has their own list. When I am confident that I loaded equal powder charges, I can check that box.
So YES equal powder charges are a factor in achieving accuracy.
A trick I learned on this forum is to use a Voltage Conditioner with my electronic scale. The faster the processer used in a computer or scale, the more susceptible it is to variation and disruption in power. I originally used a battery back up with surge protection with my electronic scale /dispenser to counter this . But as I mentioned, I learned that a Voltage Conditioner will do the same thing and maybe cheaper.
Make sure your scale is sitting level.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.