Questions about 7stw

Could I shoot the 168 Bergers out of the 280ai? And if so what fps would you lose over the stw?
My next build will be within the calendar year of 2013, and it will be a 700 action, and a custom Rock Creek barrel cambered in .280 AI.

I have big-boy magnums (7Mags, 7STW's, etc...), and I have .308's and 7mm-08's, and honestly, I think the .280AI is the best all-around cartridge there is, after doing ALOT of extensive research. It will be my go-to whitetail gun, and b/c of the non-belted magnum cases, will probably be one of my range favorites.

Yes, you can shoot 168 Berger VLD's out of it. Once I get my rifle built, I will be working loads specifically for that bullet. I have a box of 100 of them sitting at home waiting already. :D

Now that I think about it, I might just pull the barrel off of my A-Bolt II 7Mag, and order a different bolt-face for it, and have it chambered in .280AI....Or I could just wait till I get another 700 LA to build on...

Hmmmm, decision, decisions......:cool:

Doing a Google search netted me some results from posts on here from back in 2010....

One guy says he shoots the 168 VLD's out of his @ 2,875! That's friggin rippin for a non-magnum caliber.

Here's the thread link: http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...proved-loads-160gr-accubond-58952/#post409392

Here's some more interesting reads:

http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=126

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/280-ackley-vs-7mm-rem-39899/

The reason I am wanting the stw is to meet the big boy punch of big 30 but with the stw (for recoil, better bc and other reasons) if I wanted something big I would go .338 which I hope some day to have!:D

The STW is great, and I think everyone should have one. Just like a .308 Win. However, once you have both, and you have the 7's on both sides of the spectrum, you kinda want the middle-man, ya know? Which is why my next build will be a .280 AI. Plus, you can't beat magnum performance in a non-magnum caliber.

Barrel life on the .280AI is also exceptional compared to 7Mag or STW.

Don't underestimate the power of the .280 AI. It shoots .284 caliber (7mm) bullets, so you can load up some 168 VLD's or 180 VLD's in them, and probably get some excellent accruracy with a 9" or 9.5" twist barrel. My Sendero STW has a factory 9.25" twist, and it loves the 180 VLD's.

However, if you want an STW, I am all for that. You can come join us over on the STW thread, if you'd like to get more opinions on them.

The only draw-back I see now is that STW brass is about near impossible to find on the web or in stores, right now.

Custom actions are getting a bit pricey, I'd start buying rem 700 actions and rems at pawn shops, there are a ton of rifles out there, have it trued and you are saving 3-500 now, add a Sako extractor and still you are cheaper. Your rem 700 is always salable, I'm not seeing your average custom action justifying higher prices when and if you ever sell the rifle. Other than people here, most outsiders don't recognize the custom actions readily. A rem 700 is always recognized.

My 2 cents

Yeah I now know it can be done. Open up the bolt face. And mess with the feeding ramps is what I was told what has to be done. But with all that work it would be easyer to just buy a custom action.

You do have a few options that Aren't going to require a second mortgage. First and foremost, the bolt. You can look around for a mag bolt, or open the one you have. If you are rebarreling anyway, a new, or used mag bolt face will do just fine. You do NOT have to open the rails for a STW, only the Ultra Mags need that. I believe PTG sells magnum bolts, I could be wrong. Buy the best barrel blank you can afford, one that will finish at 26-27 inches, and make sure of your smiths ability! If he knows what he is doing, he will know WHAT to do, once he gets all the parts together. There are some GREAT smiths here. All you have to do is Ask!!!!!!!lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.